Undergraduate Student Scholarships
(Looking for graduate student scholarships?)
Oklahoma Christian awards more than $15 million in institutional scholarships and grants every year. The list below will walk you through what is available. We also have a list of places to find outside scholarships.
Any questions? Contact the Financial Services Office at (800) 877-5010 or at OCStudentFinancialServices@oc.edu.
Academic Merit Scholarships:
All academic merit scholarships for first time freshmen are based on a combination of the student's highest composite ACT or SAT score along with the student's unweighted high school GPA. Student may receive academic merit scholarships up to 8 semesters and must maintain a 2.8 cumulative college GPA to keep the award.
Merit based academic scholarships range from $4000 per year to $11,000 per year. OC notifies students of their academic mert award upon acceptance into the university.
To determine the likely amount of your academic merit scholarship, we encourage you to use our freshman net cost calculator.
Please note: February 28th is the deadline to submit ACT/SAT and/or high school GPA information for the purposes of receiving an academic merit scholarship. GPA and ACT/SAT information received after February 28th will not be used to adjust academic merit scholarship award amounts.
- National Merit Finalist Scholarship -- This scholarship is determined by the National Merit Corporation and is awarded in the spring of a student's senior year. A student may receive this award up to 8 semesters and must maintain a 3.0 cumulative college GPA to keep the award. OC will award no more than 8 new National Merit Finalist scholarships per year. To be eligible for the National Merit Finalist scholarships,students must select Oklahoma Christian as their first choice university to the National Merit Coorporation.
Below is a list of how much the scholarship is worth:
- Finalists receive up to 17 credit hours per semester of full tuition along with the cost of room and meal plan (minus any other OC award).
- This award is prorated for part-time students.
- Scholarship room expenses provide for OC's Honor's House. If a student chooses to live in a private room and/or a higher priced dorm/apartment, the student will be responsible for the difference in housing prices.
- Board expenses cover the cost of the standard residence hall meal plan, but do not cover additional Eagle Bucks. If a student chooses to add Eagle Bucks above the amount that may come with the meal plan, the student will be responsible for the incremental costs.
- The National Merit Scholarship does not cover private music lessons and fees for special programs such as European Studies, Asian Studies, CCCU study abroad, and others that may be developed.
- For National Merit Finalists, OC will apply $2,000 of the Oklahoma State Regents Scholarship (discussed below) to help cover the cost of full tuition, room and meal plan. The additional $2,000 will be applied to the student's account and can be used as a credit or may help pay for books, costs for available upgraded student housing options, etc.
- Oklahoma State Regents Scholarship -- This is awarded by the Oklahoma State Regents and is worth up to $4,000 per year for up to 8 semesters. Students from Oklahoma must have a total ACT subscore of 134 or above. National Merit Finalists who are not residents of Oklahoma can also apply for this scholarship. A student must maintain a 3.25 cumulative GPA. For more information, please contact the Oklahoma State Regents Office by phone at (405) 225-9131 or (800) 858-1840. Additional information can also be found online at http://www.okhighered.org/academic-scholars/.
- Transfer Scholarship -- This scholarship is based on the cumulative GPA of all college transfer work. The scholarship is good for up to 8 semesters. This scholarship will be prorated for part-time enrollment. Students transferring more than 15 credit hours and who have attended another higher education institution starting in the fall semester after their high school senior year will be considered transfer students for financial aid purposes. A student should submit complete college transcript(s) to OC for consideration. A student must maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA to keep this award. Refer to the following chart to determine the amount of the scholarship.
|Cumulative GPA||Scholarship Amount (yearly)|
Maximum OC scholarships and tuition discounts may not exceed full tuition up to 17 hours. Awards will be pro-rated for part-time enrollment. Excluding OC Grant and the Church Match Scholarship, students may receive no more than one performance award.
- Music Scholarship: This scholarship is for first-time students who demonstrate exceptional musical ability and accomplishment. It is renewable for up to 8 semesters. Scholarship amounts will vary depending on student's ability and music department need. A student must maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA and continue to participate in music. To apply, a student should complete the OC application for admission and contact the music department at (405) 425-5530 for audition requirements. Students must audition no later than January 31st in order to be considered for a Music scholarship. Additional information concerning OC's music department is available at www.oc.edu/academics/music.
- Theater/Drama Scholarship: This scholarship is for first-time OC students demonstrating theatrical abilities. It is renewable for up to 8 semesters. Scholarship amounts will vary depending on the student's ability and theater department need. A student must maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA and continue to participate in theater. Students must audition no later than January 31st in order to be considered for a Theatre scholarship. To apply, a student should complete the OC application for admission and contact the theater department at (405) 425-5522 for audition requirements.
- Varsity Athletics: Oklahoma Christian University is a member of the NCAA Division II and offers a wide variety of collegiate sports. For more information, contact the athletic department at (405) 425-5350.
Other OC Scholarships/Grants
Maximum OC scholarships and tuition discounts may not exceed full tuition up to 17 hours. Awards will be pro-rated for part-time enrollment.
- Biblical Studies: Oklahoma Christian University applicants interested in ministry majors are encouraged to apply for College of Biblical Studies endowed scholarship awards. Award amounts vary based on academic profile and demonstrated financial need. Visit http://www.oc.edu/biblescholarships. Select and complete the “New Student Bible Scholarship Major Application” no later than January 31, 2014. Important: Applicants should submit their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) no later than January 31st in order to maximize the amount of their Bible Studies scholarship. For more information, contact the Admissions Office at email@example.com or Dr. Richard Wright at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Church Match Scholarship: This scholarship is for students who receive a scholarship from a congregation of the churches of Christ. OC will match dollar for dollar up to $500 per student per academic year (August through May). To apply for this scholarship, the church must complete the Church Match Application Form with the signatures of two church officials.
- International Scholarship: This scholarship is for students who are citizens of foreign countries and ineligible for federal aid or for one of OC's academic scholarship awards. It is worth $2,000 per year for up to 8 semesters. A student must maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA. To apply, complete OC's international student application for admission.
- Northwest Endowment Fund: After the closing of Cascade College, OC's branch campus in Portland, Oregon, a scholarship fund was created with the existing endowed scholarship assets from Cascade College. These endowed scholarship funds are now used as specified by the donors to provide scholarships for students from the region traditionally served by Cascade College. Students wishing to attend Oklahoma Christian from the Pacific Northwest are welcome to apply for a scholarship from the Northwest Endowment Fund. Scholarship applications are available at www.oc.edu/nwef. The priority deadline to apply for a Northwest Endowment Scholarship is January 31st. Because scholarship funds are limited, any students submitting a scholarship application after January 31st will have a smaller probability of being awarded a scholarship from the Northwest Endowment Fund.
- OC Grant: This grant is funded by the university and is based on a family's demonstrated financial need. OC Grant can combine with any other award(s). A student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for this institutional grant. The amount of the OC Grant is subject to change in subsequent years as a result of significant changes in the student's reported FAFSA Expected Family Contribution (EFC).
- ROTC Room & Board Discount: This scholarship is awarded to students who have been chosen for ROTC Academic Scholarships. It is valid for up to 8 semesters as long as the student maintains the academic scholarship requirements set by ROTC. A student must be enrolled at Oklahoma Christian and register for classes at other institutions through Oklahoma Christian. To apply, complete the OC application for admission with verification from ROTC of the academic scholarship and amount. The value of the Room and Board Scholarship will be determined by calculating the ROTC Academic Scholarships as a percentage of tuition. Oklahoma Christian will match the standard room and board rate. This will include all OC monies including the Academic Scholarship. Additional information about the Air Force ROTC Program can be found online at www.ou.edu/ROTC/air-force. Additional information about the Army ROTC program can be found online at http://busn.uco.edu/armyrotc/.
OC policies allow students to receive no more than one discount. All applications for one of the following discounts must be submitted no later than February 28th. The award amounts guarantee $4000 of tuition when coordinated with federal, state, and other institutional grants.
- Children’s Home Discount: This $4,000/year tuition discount is for first-time OC students (age 23 or under) whose parents work as house parents at a children’s home. To qualify, the parents must be the legal guardians of the applicant. The parents must also live full-time at the children’s home, and they must have placed children living in the home. This discount is also intended for first-time students who have lived in a children’s facility for the past year with no parental support. This discount may be used for up to 8 semesters. A student must maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA. To apply, complete the OC application for admission and provide verification of recent stay at a children’s home or verification of parent’s full-time employment as house parents. The Student Financial Services Office must be notified of a student's eligibility by February 28th in order to be eligible.
- Children of Minister’s Discount: This $4,000/year tuition discount is for first-time OC students (age 23 or under) who are dependent children of full-time ministers, provided the minister meets certain criteria. To qualify, the minister must be a full-time (40 hours/week paid vocation) Church of Christ pulpit and/or youth minister and have served at least five years. Applicants must submit the Children of Minister’s Discount application form as well as a youth census list (9th-12th grade) from your home congregation. This discount may be used for up to 8 semesters providing the parent continues to work as a full-time minister. Recipients must maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA. To apply, complete the OC application for admission and submit the Children of Minister's Discount application no later than February 28th.
- Christian Academy/School Discount: This $4,000/year tuition discount is for first-time OC students (age 23 or under) whose parents work full-time at a K-12 Christian academy or school. This discount may be used for up to 10 semesters. Parents must continue to work full-time at a Christian academy or school, and the student must maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA. To apply, a student should complete the OC application for admission and submit the Christian Academy/School Discount application no later than February 28th.
- Foreign Missionary Discount: This $4,000/year tuition discount is for first-time OC students (age 23 or under) whose parents are currently working full-time in the foreign mission field (outside of the United States) under the provision and support of a congregation of the Church of Christ. This discount may be used for up to 8 semesters. A parent must continue to work in the foreign mission field and the student must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0. To apply, the student should complete the OC application for admission with verification of work in a foreign mission field from the supporting Church of Christ no later than February 28th.
- Sister School Discount: This $4,000/year tuition discount is for first-time OC students (age 23 or under) whose parents work full-time at a sister college or university. A Sister College/University is one that participates in the Sister School Undergraduate Reciprocal Tuition Remission program. This discount may be used for up to 8 semesters. A parent must continue to work full-time at the sister college or university, and the student must maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA. To apply, complete the OC application for admission and submit the Sister School Discount application no later than February 28th.
- For information concerning outside scholarships, please visit Sources for Other Scholarships.