B.S.E. Degree in Early Childhood Education
Professional education minor included
An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Science in Education degree will:
- Show that he or she has acquired competency in a broad general education through study in the liberal arts by successfully completing the university core curriculum and passing the Oklahoma General Education Test (OGET).
- Demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of the subject matter for the subject and level to be taught by achieving a 3.00 GPA in the major field and passing the Oklahoma Subject Area Test (OSAT) appropriate to the major field.
- Demonstrate that he or she has acquired the knowledge, skills, and dispositions appropriate for initial entry into the profession of teaching by completing a specified curriculum in professional education courses with no grades below a grade of “C”, passing the PPAT, and receiving average ratings of Proficient on the Formative and Summative assessments in student teaching.
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
35 Hours early childhood education
- ECED-3013 Nature and Characteristics of Early Childhood
- ECED-4013 Cognitive Skills
- ECED-4013P Cognitive Skills Practicum
- ECED-4023 Topics in Early Childhood
- ECED-4111 Early Childhood Practicum
- ELEM-3023 Emergent Literacy
- ELEM-3233 Primary Reading
- ELEM-3233P Primary Reading Practicum
- ELEM-3323 Movement and Fine Arts
- ELEM-3332 Elementary Language Arts
- ELEM-3632 Social Studies for the Primary Child
- ELEM-3733 Mathematics for the Primary Child
- ELEM-3832 Science for the Primary Child
- ELEM-3900P Primary Practicum
- ELEM-4544 Strategies for Reading Assessment
- PSYC-3523 Developmental Psychology
Note: Practicum courses (P) do not affect the GPA and do not add to the semester course load. Grades earned in practicum courses reflect candidate performance in public school classrooms.
48 Hours general education state requirements
University core courses apply to these requirements.
- Communication 12 hours
- Mathematics 12 hours
- Science 12 hours
- Social Studies 12 hours
25 Hours professional education
- EDUC-3121 Orientation to Teacher Education
- EDUC-3122 The School in American Culture
- EDUC-3131 Classroom Management Strategies I
- EDUC-3213 Learning, Instruction, and Assessment
- EDUC-3421 Educational Technology
- EDUC-3723 Education of the Exceptional Child
- EDUC-4013 Human Relations & Cultural Awareness
- EDUC-4131 Applied Instruction and Assessment
- EDUC-4231 Critical Issues in Education
- EDUC-4331 Classroom Management Strategies II
- EDUC-4718 Student Teaching in the Elementary School
Foreign language competency:
- High School Foreign Language – 2 years of same language with a grade of “C” or better
- University credit – 3 hours foreign language or American Sign Language with a grade of “C” or better.