B.F.A. Degree in Art
This major is for the person wanting a general background in art or a vocation in the field of art and its related industries.
An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Art will:
- Demonstrate a commitment to scholarship, creative expression, and independent thought.
- Demonstrate effective visual problem solving skills.
- Produce an organized, coherent body of work and critically defend it.
- Demonstrate a working understanding of art/design history, genres, movements, and practitioners.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the role of faith in his or her personal creative expression.
- Analyze and respond to personal experience, professional standards, ethics, and global perspectives.
- Demonstrate an ability to critically evaluate peer and professional work in his or her discipline.
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
30 Hours foundation
- ARTS-1103 Technology for Graphics
- ARTS-1113 Fundamentals of Drawing
- ARTS-1213 Figure Drawing
- ARTS-1413 Elements of Visual Thinking
- ARTS-2323 Digital Design for Print
- ARTS-2423 History of Photography and Motion Pictures
- ARTS-3333 History of Design
- ARTS-3343 Ancient to Modern Art History
- ARTS-3353 Contemporary Art
- ARTS-3773 The Business of Branding Yourself
9 Hours painting
- ARTS-2513 Painting I
- ARTS-3213 Painting II
- ARTS-4213 Open Studio
6 Hours illustration
- ARTS-3523 Illustration I
- ARTS-4523 Illustration II
9 Hours professional design
- ARTS-2223 Introduction to Communication Design
- ARTS-2233 Type As Visual Language
- ARTS-3243 Graphic Design
15 Hours art and design electives chosen from
- ARTS-2143 Digital Painting
- ARTS-2423 Interactive Media Design I
- ARTS-3113 Printmaking: Intaglio and Relief
- ARTS-3123 Printmaking: Serigraphy
- ARTS-3253 Print + Social Media Design
- ARTS-3263 Advanced Graphic Design
- ARTS-3363 Photography I
- ARTS-4253 Integrated Marketing Design
- ARTS-4333 Commercial Studio Photography
- ARTS-4643 Senior Exhibit*
- ARTS-4830 Art Internship*
*Only with advisor’s approval.
Six credit hours of Foreign Language is strongly encouraged if the student is pursuing a graduate degree in Art History. The six credit hours of Foreign Language can be applied toward the 15 hours of electives.