43 hours, minor required
The B.A. degree in Psychology emphasizes a strong general education in the field of psychology for students who may not want to go on to graduate work. The program recognizes that graduate school is not for everyone and also recognizes the value of having a general liberal arts degree. Enough preparatory classes are required in the B.A. degree that if a student later decides to seek admission into a graduate school, only a small number of leveling courses will typically be required.
An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology will:
- Demonstrate a holistic view of the field of psychology and its place within the context of a distinctively Christian worldview through the integration of the science of psychology with the development of faith through personal experiences, volunteer opportunities and practicum placements.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the major ideas and theories of psychology, including a scientific understanding of the methodologies used in our field and the major schools of psychology (with an emphasis placed on the 20th century, but not limited to this period).
- Demonstrate analytical and critical thinking through effective written communication.
- Demonstrate analytical and critical thinking through effective communication of independent, empirical research.
Students must complete a minimum of 122 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 122 hours.
28 HOURS PSYCHOLOGY
- PSYC-1113 General Psychology I
- PSYC-1211 Introductory Seminar in Psychology
- PSYC-2223 General Psychology II
- PSYC-3113 Introductory Psychological Statistics
- PSYC-3313 Abnormal Psychology
- PSYC-3413 Social Psychology
- PSYC-3713 Personality
- PSYC-4413 Biological Psychology
- PSYC-4623 Experimental Psychology
- PSYC-4713 History and Systems in Psychology
3 HOURS CHOSEN FROM
- PSYC-2523 Developmental Psychology
- PSYC-3613 Adolescence and Early Adulthood
- PSYC-3723 Adult Development and Aging
3 HOURS CHOSEN FROM
9 HOURS PSYCHOLOGY ELECTIVES
6 HOURS OF THE SAME FOREIGN LANGUAGE
Note: MATH-1223: Mathematical Functions and Modeling in the core curriculum is strongly recommended.
University Core Curriculum
B.A. - 51 Hours - Courses May Not Be Repeated Within Core
COMMUNICATION, 9 HOURS
MATHEMATICS, 3 HOURS
- Appropriate to major
REQUIRED BIBLE, 6 HOURS
- BIBL-1023: Foundations: Introduction to the Good Life
- BIBL-1103: Story: Introduction to Christian Worldview
BIBLE ELECTIVES, 3 HOURS
CAPSTONE, 3 HOURS
POLITICAL SCIENCE, 3 HOURS
AMERICAN HISTORY, 3 HOURS
GREAT WORKS, 6 HOURS
- ARTS-2013: Survey of Visual Culture
- ARTS-2423: History of Photography and Motion Pictures
- ENGL-2213: Perspectives in Literature
- MATH-2123: The History of Mathematics
- MUSC-2013: Music Appreciation
- MUSC-2023: Jazz Appreciation
- MUSC-3213: Perspectives in World Music
SCIENCE, 6 HOURS
- One course must include a lab
BEHAVIORAL SCIENCE, 3 HOURS
WORLD CIVILIZATION, 3 HOURS
NON-WESTERN CIVILIZATION, 3 HOURS