B.S.E. Degree in English Education
73 hours, professional education minor included
The major is designed for those who plan careers in middle, junior, or senior high school teaching. A student in this degree program must have two advisors, one
in English and one in education. The student must meet all the requirements for the Bachelor of Science in Education degree, including: a minor in professional
education, and 40 hours in the major beyond freshman composition.
An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Science in Education degree in English will:
Through extensive writing, research, presentations, class discussion, and testing demonstrate critical thinking skills, clear, correct, and effective communication in English, comprehension, interpretation, and evaluation of texts including critical works and works of British, American, and World Literature in their cultural and historical context, with the use of various theoretical methodologies, skills in applying the essential concepts of English structure and linguistics, basic skills in a foreign language (BSE - two years in high school; BA - 6 hours), exploration of and contribution to the world of ideas, and articulation of and engagement in the personal integration of faith and learning.
Show that he or she has acquired competency in a broad general education through study in the liberal arts by successfully completing the university core curriculum and passing the Oklahoma General Education Test (OGET).
Demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of English language and literature by achieving a 3.00 GPA in the specified major courses required for certification in English and passing the Oklahoma Subject Area Test (OSAT) in English.
Demonstrate that he or she has acquired the knowledge, skills, and dispositions appropriate for initial entry into the profession of teaching by completing a specified curriculum in professional education courses with no grades below a grade of C, passing the Oklahoma Professional Teacher Education Exam (OPTE), and receiving average ratings of Proficient on the Formative and Summative assessments in student teaching
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
1. 3 hours gateway course
- ENGL-2223 - Introduction to Writing About Literature - This course must be completed before enrolling in upper level Literature courses.
2. 3. hours grammar and composition
3. 3 hours linguistics
4. 9 hours american literature
5. 9 hours english literature
- ENGL-3153 - English Lit Survey I 680-1600
- ENGL-3253 - English Lit Survey II
- ENGL-3353 - English Lit Survey III 1780 to Present
6. 3 hours world literature chosen from
- @ENGL 3123
7. 3 hours shakespeare
8. 3 hours senior seminar
9. 4 hours electives from the following areas
10. 24 semester hours, professional education
- EDUC-3121 - Orientation to Teacher Education
- EDUC-3122 - The School in American Culture
- EDUC-3422 - Educational Technology
- EDUC-4013 - Human Rel and Behav Management Human Relations and Behavior Management
- EDUC-4131 - Applied Instructional and Assessment Strategies
- EDUC-4718 - Student Tch in Secondary Sch Student Tch in the Secondary School
11. 5 hours other courses
12. 3 hours, methods course
Foreign language competency choose one:
- Teaching (elementary school, middle school, high school and university level)
- Curriculum Development
- Guidance Counseling
- Public Libraries
- Program Development
- Literacy Programs
Lets get started! Or do you need more information?Apply Now Visit Campus