B.M.E. Degree in Music/Vocal Emphasis
Professional education minor included
The B.M.E. degree is for students pursuing a teaching career in music. The degree provides the student with the necessary coursework required for the standard teaching certificate as outlined by the Oklahoma State Department of Education.
An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Music Education with a music/instrumental emphasis will demonstrate:
- Ability to hear and analyze rhythm, melody, harmony, and form.
- Ability to sight-read music and perform with other musicians.
- Understanding of compositional and aesthetic properties of style and how the art of music is shaped by cultural forces.
- Acquaintance with a wide selection of music literature beyond the student’s interest and departmental standards.
- Ability to perform a cross-section of that repertory according to the student’s interest and departmental standards.
- Ability to communicate clearly, critically, and creatively about music.
- Ability to plan and teach elementary and secondary general music effectively.
- Ability to conduct ensembles and rehearse instrumental music effectively.
- Organizational leadership skills for management of instrumental ensembles in the public schools.
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
11 Hours basic theory
- MUSC-1112 Music Theory I
- MUSC-1211 Ear Training II
- MUSC-1212 Music Theory II
- MUSC-2111 Ear Training III
- MUSC-2112 Music Theory III
- MUSC-2211 Ear Training IV
- MUSC-2212 Music Theory IV
4 Hours class piano
- MUSC-1581 Class Piano I
- MUSC-1681 Class Piano II
- MUSC-2581 Class Piano III
- MUSC-2681 Class Piano IV
9 Hours music history
- MUSC-3323 Music History I: Ancient Music Through the Renaissance
- MUSC-3333 Music History II: Baroque and the Classical Music
- MUSC-3343 Music History III: Romantic Music and Contemporary
4 Hours advanced theory and technology
- MUSC-3412 Orchestration
- MUSC-3432 Music Technology
10 Hours music technique
- MUSC-2512 Diction I: English and Italian
- MUSC-2522 Diction II: French and German
- MUSC-3452 Vocal Pedagogy
- MUSC-4212 Choral Conducting I
- MUSC-4222 Choral Conducting II
1 Hour piano
8 Hours voice
4 Hours music ensemble
- 1300-1400 level courses
1 Hour capstone project or recital
- MUSC-4001 Senior Recital
- MUSC-4011 Senior Project
25 Hours professional education
- EDUC-3121 Orientation to Teacher Education
- EDUC-3122 The School in American Culture
- EDUC-3213 Learning, Instruction, and Assessment
- EDUC-3723 Education of the Exceptional Child
- EDUC-4013 Human Relations and Cultural Awareness
- EDUC-4131 Applied Instructional and Assessment Strategies
- EDUC-4231 Critical Issues in Education
- EDUC-4442 Secondary Vocal Music Methods
- EDUC-4818 Student Teaching in the Elementary and Secondary Schools
3 Hours psychology
- PSYC-3523 Developmental Psychology
4 Hours music methods
- EDUC-4422 Elementary Music Methods
- EDUC-4442 Secondary Instrumental Music Methods
Foreign language competency
- High School Foreign Language – 2 years of same language with a grade of “C” or better
- University credit – 3 hours foreign language or American Sign Language with a grade of “C” or better