B.S. Degree in Public Relations and Social Media
Students must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
10 Hours mass communication foundation
- COMM-2613 Media, Faith, and Culture
- COMM-4631 Senior Seminar in Communication
- COMM-4713 Media Law
- COMM-4733 Communication Ethics
3 Hours experience: you must choose from
- COMM-1361 and COMM-3361 PR Practicum
An internship may be substituted for one of these hours.
33 Hours public relations required
- COMM-2113 Writing for Media
- COMM-2413 Photographic Principles
- COMM-2643 Media Production
- COMM-2813 Social Media and Advertising Principles
- COMM-2823 Public Relations Principles and Social Media Influencers
- COMM-2833 Reporting
- COMM-3233 Managing Social Media
- COMM-3343 Campaigns
- COMM-3543 Public Relations and Social Media Case Studies
- COMM-3743 Public Relations and Social Media Branding
- COMM-4663 Public Relations and Social Media Analytics
6 Hours required
- ARTS-1103 Technology for Graphics
- MKTG-3313 Principles of Marketing
6 Hours restricted electives
- COMM-3143 Basics of Visual Communication Design
- COMM-3243 Planning, Organizing, and Leading Events
- COMM-3723 Interviewing
- COMM-3733 Media Marketing and Sales
- MGMT-3113 Principles of Management
- MKTG-3413 Consumer Behavior
- MKTG-3513 Digital Marketing
- MKTG-4513 Marketing Research
An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree in Mass Communication-Public Relations will:
- Have been encouraged to sustain or adopt a Christian worldview characterized by participation in a Christian community.
- Have been encouraged to balance career, family, church, and community successfully.
- Be familiar with the appropriate theories of communication.
- Have developed the appropriate writing styles and skills expected by future employers or graduate programs.
- Have an understanding of the fundamentals of research and be able to interpret research findings.
- Understand the ethics of communication.
- Be able to pursue successfully a master’s degree in business or public relations, or to pursue a career in public relations, corporate communications, or a communications profession in an agency, firm, corporation, non-profit, sports franchise, or other organizational environment.
- Operate within legal frameworks and guidelines of media.