OC Mission and Purpose:
Oklahoma Christian University is a diverse community of scholars and learners, and all are committed in service to a common mission to “transform lives for Christian faith, scholarship, and service.” OC is committed to hiring employees who are actively engaged in a life of Christian discipleship as we strive to create an employment culture that encourages faculty and staff to lean into the university’s Christian mission with an emphasis on authenticity and unity, not uniformity. Though dependent on God’s and each other’s grace, we aspire to professional and personal standards reflective of Christ’s example and adherent to principles drawn from Holy Scripture. To assist our individual and collective accountability to these standards, university employees enter a Covenant of prescriptive conduct and assent to a Statement of Commitment that identifies defining core beliefs. We encourage you to explore what we believe to determine if our mission is your calling.
As a Christ-centered university, Oklahoma Christian values diversity as an essential dimension of God's design for human communities. In seeking to become more inclusive and fully representative of God’s broad array of human creation, we especially encourage applications from women and candidates from racial and ethnic backgrounds that are underrepresented on our faculty and staff.
Position: The Resident Director works as a member of the Residence Life/Student Life team to foster student success, community development, and spiritual growth in our on-campus residential communities. The Resident Director lives on-campus in a designated staff apartment, and reports to the Director of Residence Life.
- Some college credit and active work toward a bachelor’s degree is required; a completed bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- Student development, residence life, and student activities experience preferred.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity and the ability to communicate and positively engage students and colleagues across racial, gender, and cultural barriers.
- A successful candidate must be an active member of a Church of Christ congregation.
- In all things, be a living example of Christ to the OC community. Understand the role of live-in professionals in fostering residential community development, student success, and supporting the greater OC mission.
- Actively seek opportunities for community development.
- Direct and oversee one to two residential facilities, including the residential experience and student staff in each area.
- Establish ownership over the general physical operation and condition of the assigned residential facilities.
- Foster residential communities that are academically focused through upholding policies that protect academic interests and encouraging curricular and co-curricular involvement.
- Work one week per year that is considered a campus break, staying near campus and responding to the needs of on-campus students and administrators.
- Serve 2-4 weeks each semester as the Resident Life 24-hour on-call attendant, monitoring and responding promptly to campus issues and emergencies after hours.
- Schedule a minimum of 10 office hours per week during regular business hours.
- Partner and help lead the recruitment, interviewing, and hiring processes of RAs, ADs, and receptionist staff.
- Assist the Residence Life Housing Coordinator in the placement of students into housing assignments. Perform additional duties as assigned by the Director of Residence Life.
- Maintain accurate rosters, updating them immediately as changes or updates occur and are needed.
- Ability to communicate in a manner that reflects a positive and professional image for the University and the Residence Life Department.
- Must be punctual and detailed oriented.
- Ability to use computer-related programs and other technologies needed to perform essential job functions.
- Be able to work 35-40 hours per week. The position has a non-traditional work schedule and will require some nights and weekends.
- Work schedules may be flexed with supervisor approval.
- The initial appointment for a Resident Director will be for one 9- month period (residence halls) or one 12-month period (apartments). The Director of Residence Life will determine reappointment to the same or alternate position based on performance evaluations conducted during the employment period, specific housing area needs, strengths and skills of the individual staff members, etc.
Salary and Benefits:
- Salary Commensurate with Experience
- Standard University benefits package:
- Health insurance premium support
- Retirement plan: 403(b) matching contribution
- Tuition discount and other staff benefits
- Use of personal residential quarters within assigned facility
Timetable: Application review begins immediately and continues until one residence director position is filled and one residence director position is filled. To apply, submit a resume, cover letter, statement of faith, and OC application form to Human Resources at email@example.com or Box 11000, Oklahoma City, OK 73136.
Oklahoma Christian University is a private liberal arts university affiliated with the Churches of Christ. The University complies with all laws regarding race, color, age, sex, national origin, marital status, military service, and disability. As a religious, educational institution, the University is permitted by law to consider religious beliefs and practices in making employment decisions, and the University does so to achieve its mission.
Oklahoma Christian University is looking for employees who are willing to express the “The Second Mile-Serving One Another” goal of the University, to demonstrate a personal faith in Jesus Christ, to be actively involved in a local Church of Christ, and to support the Christian mission of the University.