Program Mentor For New College
Posted: June 1, 2022
O.C. Mission and Purpose:
Oklahoma Christian University is a diverse community of scholars and learners, all committed in service to a common mission to "transform lives for Christian faith, scholarship, and service." O.C. is committed to hiring employees who are actively engaged in a life of Christian discipleship as we strive to create an employment culture that encourages faculty and staff to lean into the University's Christian mission with an emphasis on authenticity and unity, not uniformity. Though dependent on God's and each other's grace, we aspire to professional and personal standards reflective of Christ's example and adherent to principles drawn from Holy Scripture. To assist our individual and collective accountability to these standards, university employees enter a Covenant of prescriptive conduct and assent to a Statement of Commitment that identifies defining core beliefs. We encourage you to explore what we believe to determine if our mission is your calling.
As a Christ-centered university, Oklahoma Christian values diversity as an essential dimension of God's design for human communities. In seeking to become more inclusive and fully representative of God's broad array of human creation, we especially encourage applications from women and candidates from racial and ethnic backgrounds that are underrepresented on our faculty and staff.
Position: Oklahoma Christian University invites applications for a Program Mentor for New College to begin in July 2022. This staff member will be the primary contact and communicator with an assigned group of work-based students. Reporting to the Director of Online Learning & Student Success, the mentor will promote retention and support of New College through proactive communication, prompt responses to student-initiated communication, and troubleshooting academic and administrative barriers for students. This may be a remote position. Day-to-day activities may vary but will include working with various university faculty and staff to coordinate services and support for New College learners.
- Earned bachelor's degree required
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and the ability to communicate and positively engage students and colleagues across racial, gender, and cultural barriers
- Active engagement in a life of Christian faith and service, which includes membership in a local church
- A clear and concise communicator able to work effortlessly with a variety of people from widely differing backgrounds
- Tech-savvy and familiar with learning management systems and other tools for student data management
- An active listener able to turn suggestions into actionable advice and implement changes
- Highly developed communication skills (including verbal, written, and interpersonal skills)
- Experience in education or nursing is a plus
- Remote position
- All students should receive communication weekly
- 20 live connections per week (e.g., visit, Google Meet, phone call)
- Expected to reply to emails from mentees within 24 hours
- Tracks communication and retention concerns in the university reporting system
- Connects students with campus services or academic support when needed
- Communicates the University's spiritual mission through prayer with and for students and sharing Scripture in communication
- Other related administrative duties as assigned
Salary and Benefits:
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Standard university benefits package
- Health insurance premium support
- Retirement plan: 403(b) matching contribution
- Tuition discount and other employee benefits
Application review will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. To apply, send a cover letter, curriculum vitae, O.C. application form, personal statement of faith, and copies of undergraduate and graduate transcripts (please do not send official transcripts at this time), to Human Resources at: email@example.com or P.O. Box 11000, Oklahoma City, OK 73136. Electronic attachments and cover letters are preferred. As candidates advance through the screening process, additional materials, such as letters of recommendation (including one from a home congregation), a writing sample, and a statement of teaching philosophy will be requested.
Oklahoma Christian University is a private liberal arts university affiliated with the Churches of Christ. Though all applicants who are actively engaged in a life of Christian faith and service will be considered, preference will be given to candidates who are active members of the Church of Christ. The University complies with all laws regarding race, color, age, sex, national origin, marital status, military service, and disability. As a religious educational institution, the University is permitted by law to consider religious beliefs and practices in making employment decisions, and the University does so to achieve its mission.
Oklahoma Christian University is looking for employees who are willing to express the "The Second Mile—Serving One Another" goal of the University, to demonstrate a personal faith in Jesus Christ, to be actively involved in a local church, and to support the Christian mission of the University.