Tenure -Track or Visiting Faculty - Education/Reading Specialist
OC Mission and Purpose: Oklahoma Christian University is a diverse community of scholars and learners, all committed in service to a common mission to “transform lives for Christian faith, scholarship and service.” OC is committed to hiring employees who are actively engaged in a life of Christian discipleship as we strive to create an employment culture that encourages faculty and staff to lean into the university’s Christian mission with an emphasis on authenticity and unity, not uniformity. Though dependent on God’s and each other’s grace, we aspire to professional and personal standards reflective of Christ’s example and adherent to principles drawn from Holy Scripture. To assist our individual and collective accountability to these standards, university employees enter a Covenant of prescriptive conduct and assent to a Statement of Commitment that identifies defining core beliefs. The university recognizes that employment at OC is not a fit for everyone, so we encourage you to explore what we believe to determine if our mission is your calling.
As a Christ-centered university, Oklahoma Christian values diversity as an essential dimension of God's design for human communities. In seeking to become more inclusive and fully representative of God’s broad array of human creation, we especially encourage applications from women and candidates from racial and ethnic backgrounds that are underrepresented on our faculty and staff.
Position: Oklahoma Christian University invites applications for a potential (pending funding) full-time tenure-track faculty position with expertise in Elementary Education/Reading.
- Doctorate in education or related fields with an emphasis in elementary education and reading is preferred. Candidates with Master’s Degree and/or ABD candidates will be considered.
- Successful experience of at least three years as an elementary or early childhood teacher is required. Must be certified in Early Childhood or Elementary Education.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and ability to communicate and positively engage students and colleagues across racial, gender and cultural barriers.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current evidence-based practices in teacher education, innovation in curriculum development, assessment for continuous improvement initiatives, and professional development in schools and/or a clinical model of teacher preparation.
- Successful candidate must be an active member of a local Church.
- Teach undergraduate reading and literacy courses for elementary teachers as well as content- area literacy and language arts courses.
- Demonstrated potential for success in college teaching and contributing to academic program development.
- Other administrative related duties as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teaching: Normally 12-credit hours per semester to include reading and literacy courses for elementary teachers as well as content-area literacy and language arts courses. Possible oversight of student teachers.
- Service: Academic advising as assigned, engagement in recruiting activities, and serving on university committees that contribute to the academic, spiritual and social quality of campus life and help fulfill faculty responsibility in a model of shared governance. Provide mentorship to individual students and to student organizations, including discipline-related and service-oriented groups. Maintain membership and active involvement in a local church.
- Scholarship: Initiate and sustain activities necessary to be current in the discipline and innovative in pedagogical method and technology. Engage in scholarly activity designed to advance human knowledge and understanding, such as research, writing and intellectual dialogue.
- Create and maintain appropriate educational records to document the academic performance of students, observing appropriate confidentiality.
- Collegially contribute to positive work and learning environment of the department and the university.
Salary and Benefits:
- Salary and rank commensurate with experience and qualifications
- Standard University benefits package
- Health insurance premium support
- Retirement plan: 403(b) matching contribution
- Tuition discount and other staff benefits
Application review will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. To apply send a cover letter, resume, OC application form, and a personal statement of faith to: email@example.com or P.O. Box 11000, Oklahoma City, OK 73136 (Electronic attachments and cover letters are preferred).
Oklahoma Christian University is a private liberal arts university affiliated with the Churches of Christ. The University complies with all laws regarding race, color, age, sex, national origin, marital status, military service, and disability. As a religious educational institution the University is permitted by law to consider religious beliefs and practices in making employment decisions and the University does so to achieve its mission.
Oklahoma Christian University is looking for employees who are willing to express the “The Second Mile-Serving One Another” goal of the University, to demonstrate a personal faith in Jesus Christ, to be actively involved in a local congregation, and to support the Christian mission of the University.