International Student Advocate
OC Mission and Purpose:
Oklahoma Christian University is a diverse community of scholars and learners all committed in service to a common mission to “transform lives for Christian faith, scholarship and service.” OC is committed to hiring employees who are actively engaged in a life of Christian discipleship as we strive to create an employment culture that encourages faculty and staff to lean into the university’s Christian mission with an emphasis on authenticity and unity, not uniformity. Though dependent on God and each other’s grace, we aspire to professional and personal standards reflective of Christ’s example and adherent to principles drawn from Holy Scripture. To assist our individual and collective accountability to these standards, university employees enter a Covenant of prescriptive conduct and assent to a Statement of Commitment that identifies defining core beliefs. We encourage you to explore what we believe to determine if our mission is your calling.
As a Christ-centered university, Oklahoma Christian values diversity as an essential dimension of God's design for human communities. In seeking to become more inclusive and fully representative of God’s broad array of human creation, we especially encourage applications from women and candidates from racial and ethnic backgrounds that are underrepresented on our faculty and staff.
Position: Oklahoma Christian University is seeking an International Student Advocate and Designated School Official (DSO) to provide specialized support to international students. The advocate will be responsible for providing F-1 student visa advising services, orientation, training, and programming to meet the needs of the international student population. The Student Advocate and Designated School Official will report to the Executive Director of the Student Advocacy Center.
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience is required.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and ability to communicate and positively engage students and colleagues across racial, gender and cultural barriers.
- Successful candidate must be an active member of a local Church.
- Candidates should have solid problem-solving and customer service skills as well as interpersonal and organizational abilities.
- Serves as the Designated School Official (DSO), maintaining the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) and all related certification requirements. Organizes SEVIS data processing under Department of Homeland Security (DHS) guidelines and maintains data and quality control management.
- Responsible for staying current with regulatory and legislative rules, regulations, and updates affecting international students on F-1 visas.
- Monitors maintains, and tracks student F-1 visa status, and updates records in the SEVIS database, college software and platforms.
- Advises students with petitions, applications, and other standard issues related to F-1 visa status. This may include new F-1 visas, work permits, reinstatement, change of status, medical leaves, employment, and/or reduced course load authorization. Advises on other personal, financial, enrollment, health insurance, travel, taxes, and scholarship/grant matters.
- Designs and/or delivers orientation programs, training, and online training modules. Plans and delivers other training for students and colleagues on regulations and updates.
- Investigate and communicate community services and resources for appropriate referrals.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Learn and Understand Current F-1 student visa rules and regulations
- Learn and Understand policies and procedures relating to admissions, registration, testing, and placement
- Strong computer literacy
- Exercise independent judgment;
- Prioritize and manage multiple tasks
- Effectively work with students and staff of various ethnic and cultural backgrounds
- Effectively communicate in oral and written form
- Standard office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Some evening and weekend hours may be required.
Salary and Benefits:
- Commensurate with experience and qualifications
- Standard University benefits package
- Health insurance premium support
- 403(b) matching contributions
- Tuition discount and other staff benefits
Application review is underway and will continue until the position is filled. To apply send a cover letter, resume, OC application form, personal statement of faith, and copies of high school diploma, undergraduate and graduate transcripts (please do not send official transcripts at this time), to Human Resources at: email@example.com or P.O. Box 11000, Oklahoma City, OK 73136. Electronic attachments and cover letters are preferred.
Oklahoma Christian University is a private liberal arts university affiliated with the Churches of Christ. The University complies with all laws regarding race, color, age, sex, national origin, marital status, military service, and disability. As a religious educational institution, the University is permitted by law to consider religious beliefs and practices in making employment decisions and the University does so to achieve its mission. Oklahoma Christian University is looking for employees who are willing to express the “The Second Mile—Serving One Another” goal of the University, to demonstrate a personal faith in Jesus Christ, to be actively involved in a local church, and to support the Christian mission of the University.