B.S. Degree in Public Communication and Leadership
An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Public Communication with Leadership emphasis will:
- Learn a variety of theories related to communication and leadership and how to apply those theories in praxis.
- Learn a variety of communicative skills, leadership skills, and techniques for the management of interpersonal relations, group leadership, and social media.
- Explore ethical approaches to communication leadership from a Christian faith perspective.
- Learn ethical persuasive techniques grounded in Christian faith to help them become skillful advocates for important social issues.
- Learn how to plan, host, and conduct public forums for issues of public importance and controversial issues.
- Learn peacemaking and conflict management skills.
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
25 Hours communication foundation
- COMM-2003 Effective Leadership
- COMM-2113 Writing for Media
- COMM-2513 Communication Theory
- COMM-3003 Family Communication and Leadership
- COMM-3243 Planning, Organizing, and Leading Events
- COMM-3333 Team Communication and Leadership
- COMM-3353 Interpersonal Communication
- COMM-4631 Senior Seminar in Communication
- COMM-4733 Communication Ethics
9 Hours communication leadership
- COMM-3233 Managing Social Media
- COMM-4113 Persuasion and Advocacy
- COMM-4523 Conflict Resolution and Negotiation
6 Hours chosen from
- COMM-3323 Organizational Communication
- COMM-3413 Argumentation and Debate
- COMM-3723 Interviewing
- COMM-4633 Intercultural Communication
- COMM-4813 Special Studies: Guest Speakers
- COMM-4963 Intern Experience
3 Hours chosen from
- BUSA-3213 Business Law
- COMM-4713 Media Law
- POLS-4113 Constitutional Law
Minor chosen from one of the following specialty areas:
- Political Science