B.A. Degree in Music
Minor required, plus 6 hours of same foreign language
The B.A. degree in Music is for students desiring to study music in a liberal arts curriculum. In the tradition of a liberal arts education, this degree offers preparation for careers and graduate study not only in music, but in many other disciplines.
An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Music will demonstrate:
- Ability to hear and analyze rhythm, melody, harmony, and form.
- Ability to sight-read music and perform with other musicians.
- Understanding of compositional and aesthetic properties of style and how the art of music is shaped by cultural forces.
- Acquaintance with a wide selection of music literature beyond the student’s specialization through lectures, assignments, and concert attendance.
- Ability to perform a cross-section of that repertory according to the student’s interest and departmental standards.
- Ability to communicate clearly, critically, and creatively about music.
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
11 Hours basic theory
- MUSC-1112 Music Theory I
- MUSC-1211 Ear Training II
- MUSC-1212 Music Theory II
- MUSC-2111 Ear Training III
- MUSC-2112 Music Theory III
- MUSC-2211 Ear Training IV
- MUSC-2212 Music Theory IV
4 Hours class piano
- MUSC-1581 Class Piano I
- MUSC-1681 Class Piano II
- MUSC-2581 Class Piano III
- MUSC-2681 Class Piano IV
9 Hours music history
- MUSC-3323 Music History I: Ancient Music through the Renaissance
- MUSC-3333 Music History II, Baroque and the Classical Music
- MUSC-3343 Music History III, Romantic Music and Contemporary Music
2 Hours advanced theory and technique
- MUSC-3412 Orchestration
2 Hours conducting chosen from
- MUSC-4212 Choral Conducting I
- MUSC-4312 Instrumental Conducting I
2 Hours music technology
- MUSC-3432 Music Technology
10 Hours applied music selected from vocal and instrumental study with consent of advisor
6 Hours music electives other than ensembles
4 Hours music ensemble (1300 or 1400 level courses)
1 Hour capstone project or recital
- MUSC-4001 Senior Recital
- MUSC-4011 Senior Project
6 Hours same foreign language