B.S. Degree in Medical Laboratory Science
The major consists of three years of university work, plus two semesters of Medical Laboratory Science Program courses.
An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree in Medical Laboratory Science will:
- Safely collect, process, perform, and report routine clinical laboratory tests on biological specimens and other substances with precision and accuracy under minimal supervision within a reasonable length of time.
- Perform routine maintenance, standardization, calibration procedures for laboratory equipment, and use necessary corrective methods to maintain and improve laboratory quality controls.
- Use problem solving skills to recognize abnormal patient values and apply appropriate corrective procedures.
- Correlate didactic instruction with laboratory results in the diagnosis and treatment of patients to understand the concept of total patient care.
- Communicate well with all levels of personnel while demonstrating professional and ethical conduct and adhere to patient safety guidelines.
- Stay current with new laboratory technologies and procedures through continuing professional education.
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
19 Hours chemistry
- CHEM-1115 General Chemistry I
- CHEM-1215 General Chemistry II
- CHEM-3115 Organic Chemistry I
- CHEM-4014 Biochemistry I with Lab
26 Hours biology
- BIOL-1115 General Biology I: Cellular and Molecular Systems
- BIOL-2314 Genetics
- BIOL-2623 Anatomy & Physiology II
- BIOL-3415 General Microbiology
- BIOL-3432 Pathogenic Microbiology Lab
- BIOL-3433 Pathogenic Microbiology
- BIOL-4201 Immunology Lab
- BIOL-4213 Immunology
3 Hours mathematics
- MATH-1213 College Algebra
3 Hours statistics
- BIOL-2913 Biostatistics
3 Hours behavioral science chosen from
- PSYC-1113 General Psychology I
- SOCI-1113 Sociology
1 Hour science seminar
- GNSC-3711 Junior Science Seminar
Complete 31 hours MLS program
- MLSP-4001 Intro to Medical Laboratory Science
- MLSP-4002 Pathogenic Micro Practicum
- MLSP-4003 Clinical Pathogenic Micro
- MLSP-4005 Clinical Immunology, Immunohematology and Lab
- MLSP-4011 Urinalysis and Body Fluids
- MLSP-4012 Blood Bank Practicum
- MLSP-4021 Hemostasis
- MLSP-4101 MLS Certification Review
- MLSP-4102 Laboratory Management
- MLSP-4103 Clinical Chemistry
- MLSP-4104 Hematology and Lab
- MLSP-4112 Hematology, Coag, UA, BF Practicum
- MLSP-4122 Chemistry Practicum
- MLSP-4132 Misc Lab Practicum
Admission to the MLS program
Prior to admittance to the MLS program, a student must:
- Complete all courses with a grade of “C” or better
- Competitive applicants will have a minimum cumulative & major GPA of 2.75
- Pass a federal background check, drug screen, and complete immunizations
Graduation with a major in Medical Laboratory Science does not guarantee passing the ASCP certification exam.
Students who have been convicted of a crime, other than a minor traffic violation, could be ineligible for admission to the university or for clinical rotations.