B.S.E. Degree in Mathematics Education
Professional Education Minor Included
An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Science in Education degree in Mathematics will:
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the foundational principles of analysis, algebra, and geometry and be able to use standard problem-solving methods in a variety of contexts.
- Exhibit the ability to adapt to new environments and advances in technology, apply research methodologies, and learn independently.
- Work effectively with others, including the ability to describe mathematical problems, solutions, proofs and logical arguments in a clear, concise manner using both written and oral communication.
- Possess a working knowledge of sound and current pedagogical techniques for the teaching of mathematics at the secondary level.
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the liberal arts, living as a person of integrity with an ability to think, act, and communicate from a Christian worldview in all areas of life.
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
34 Hours required
- MATH-1623 Discrete Mathematics
- MATH-2114 Calculus I with Analytical Geometry
- MATH-2214 Calculus II with Analytical Geometry
- MATH-2314 Calculus III
- MATH-2913 Statistical Methods
- MATH-3123 Mathematical Modeling and Strategies for Secondary Teachers
- MATH-3313 Modern Algebra I
- MATH-3513 Linear Algebra
- MATH-3813 Modern Geometry
- MATH-4113 Probability and Statistics I
- MATH-4811 Mathematics Seminar
3 Hours chosen from any 3000/4000 level mathematics course
3 Hours required
- CMSC-1113 Programming I
3 Hours electives
- Any other computer science course or any 3000-4000 level mathematics course not used in the major
Licensure: mathematics – grades 6-12
25 semester hours education
- EDUC-3121 Orientation to Teacher Education
- EDUC-3122 The School in American Culture
- EDUC-3131 Classroom Management Strategies I
- EDUC-3213 Learning, Instruction, and Assessment
- EDUC-3421 Educational Technology
- EDUC-3723 Education of the Exceptional Child
- EDUC-4013 Human Relations and Cultural Awareness
- EDUC-4131 Applied Instructional and Assessment Strategies
- EDUC-4231 Critical Issues in Education
- EDUC-4331 Classroom Management Strategies II
- EDUC-4718 Student Teaching in the Secondary Schools
5 hours other courses
- EDUC-4112 Literacy in the Secondary Content Areas
- PSYC-3523 Developmental Psychology
3 hours methods course
- EDUC-4463 Methods of Teaching Mathematics in Secondary Schools
Foreign language competency
- High School Foreign Language – 2 years of same language with a grade of “C” or better
- University credit – 3 hours foreign language or American Sign Language with a grade of “C” or better.