B.A. Degree in English/Teaching English as a Foreign Language
Minor required, plus 6 hours of same foreign language
An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in English/Teaching English as a Foreign Language will:
- Demonstrate competence in teaching English as a foreign language either abroad or domestically.
- Demonstrate comprehension of linguistics, grammar, intercultural communication, language learning theory, and teaching methodology.
- Demonstrate the ability to think, read, and write critically, especially on issues related to language learning and teaching.
- Demonstrate an awareness of and appreciation for the diversities among people around the world.
- Engage in and articulate a personal integration of faith and learning.
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
21 Hours specialized TEFL
- ENGL-1331 TEFL Experience I
- ENGL-2332 TEFL Experience II
- ENGL-3313 Introduction to Linguistics
- ENGL-3713 Structures of the English Language
- ENGL-3723 Methods of TEFL I
- ENGL-4633 Intercultural Communication I
- ENGL-4713 Methods of TEFL II
- ENGL-4863 TEFL Student Teaching Practicum
3 Hours English gateway
- ENGL-2223 Introduction to Writing About Literature
This course must be completed before enrolling in upper level Literature courses.
9 Hours 3000 level or above literature taught in English
3 Hours senior capstone
- ENGL-4733 Senior Capstone
6 Hours chosen from the following
- ENGL-3493 Technical Writing
- ENGL-4113 Studies in Chaucer
- ENGL-4213 Studies in Shakespeare
- GEOG-2113 Elements of Human Geography
- GEOG-2213 World Political Geography
- HIST-2513 English History to 1603
- HIST-2523 English History Since 1603
- HIST-2923 Perspectives in Western Civilization
- HIST-3133 Latin American People
- HIST-3143 Civilizations of the Pacific Rim
- SOCI-3513 World Religions
- SOCI-3613 Cultural Anthropology
6 Hours same foreign language
- Take 6 hours of the same foreign language