B.A. Degree in English/Teaching English as a Foreign Language
Minor required, plus 6 hours of same foreign language
An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in English/Teaching English as a Foreign Language will:
- Demonstrate competence in teaching English as a foreign language either abroad or domestically.
- Demonstrate competence in English language structure and linguistics.
- Demonstrate the ability to think, read, and write critically, especially on issues related to language learning and teaching.
- Engage in and articulate a personal integration of faith and learning.
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
18 Hours specialized TEFL
- ENGL-2333 TEFL Experience
- ENGL-3313 Introduction to Linguistics
- ENGL-3713 Structures of the English Language
- ENGL-3723 Methods of TEFL
- ENGL-4633 Intercultural Communication I
- ENGL-4863 TEFL Student Teaching Practicum
3 Hours English gateway
Choose one from the following:
- ENGL-2213 Perspectives in Literature
- ENGL-2223 Introduction to Writing About Literature
9 Hours 3000 level or above literature taught in English
3 Hours senior capstone
- ENGL-4733 Senior Capstone
6 Hours chosen from English, Education or Foreign Language courses
6 Hours same foreign language
- Take 6 hours of the same foreign language other than Spanish
A student majoring in TEFL should work with his or her advisor to select the minor that will be most beneficial. Education, Communication and Spanish are often beneficial to a TEFL major.