B.A. Degree in English
Minor required, plus 6 hours of same foreign language
The English major must meet all the general requirements for the B.A. degree. The major consists of 42 hours of English beyond freshman English composition.
An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in English will demonstrate:
- Critical thinking skills.
- Clear, correct, and effective communication in English.
- Comprehension, interpretation, and evaluation of texts, including critical works and works of British, American, and World Literature in their cultural and historical context, with the use of various theoretical methodologies.
- Basic skills in a foreign language.
- Exploration of and contribution to the world of ideas.
- Articulation of and engagement in the personal integration of faith and learning.
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
9 Hours foundation
- ENGL-2223 Introduction to Writing About Literature
- ENGL-3013 Literary Criticism
- ENGL-4213 Studies in Shakespeare
9 Hours English literature
- ENGL-3153 English Literature Survey I, 680-1600
- ENGL-3253 English Literature Survey II, 1600-1780
- ENGL-3353 English Literature Survey III, 1780-Present
6 Hours American literature
- ENGL-3673 American Literature Survey I, Before 1865
- ENGL-3773 American Literature Survey II,1865-Present
6 Hours world literature
- ENGL-3123 World Literature I, Classical to Renaissance
- ENGL-3133 World Literature II, Renaissance to Modern
9 Hours literature electives
- 3000-level or above
3 Hours senior capstone
- ENGL-4733 Senior Capstone
6 Hours same foreign language
- Take 6 hours of the same foreign language
The course requirements for the English Pre-Law emphasis are the same as for the regular B.A. in English. However, students should consult with their advisors to determine which courses will best support the pre-law emphasis.