B.S. Degree in Journalism
An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree in Journalism will:
- Have been encouraged to sustain or adopt a Christian worldview characterized by participation in a Christian community.
- Have been encouraged to balance career, family, church, and community successfully.
- Be familiar with appropriate theories of communication.
- Have developed the appropriate writing styles and skills expected by future employers or graduate programs.
- Have an understanding of the fundamentals of research and be able to interpret research findings.
- Understand the ethics of communication.
- Be able to pursue successfully a career in the converged world of journalism as a reporter, producer, or editor characterized by the ability to acquire, process, and distribute newsworthy stories in formats appropriate for print, broadcast, or web.
- Operate within legal frameworks and guidelines of media.
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours
10 Hours mass communication foundation
- COMM-1351/1371/3371/3381 Media Practicum
- COMM-2513 Communication Theory
- COMM-2613 Media, Faith, and Culture
- COMM-4631 Senior Seminar in Communication
- COMM-4713 Media Law
- COMM-4723 Media Ethics
5 Hours experience: you must choose from
COMM-1351 and COMM-3351 or after completing 3 hours of experience may take COMM-4821 with permission
15 Hours journalism foundation
- COMM-2113 Writing For Media
- COMM 2643 Media Production
- COMM-2833 Journalism Storytelling I
- COMM-3453 Journalism Storytelling II
- COMM-3233 Managing Social Media
- COMM-3723 Interviewing
3 Hours journalism required chosen from
- COMM-3823 Long Form Writing and Production**
- COMM-4123 Electronic News Producing*
3 Hours communication chosen from
- COMM-2213 Voice and Articulation*
- COMM-2413 Photography-Principles and Practices**
3 Hours chosen from either
- ENGL-3493 Technical Writing
- ENGL-3523 Creative Writing I
- ENGL-3533 Creative Writing II
- ENGL-3813 Advanced Writing
- COMM-3653 Production and Editing
- COMM-3653 Film and Location Editing
- Media Production (for all wanting a broadcast emphasis)
- Physical Science
- Political Science
* Students with primary interest in broadcast and web choose these classes.
** Students with primary interest in print and web choose these classes.