B.S.E. Degree in Social Studies Education
This degree is designed as preparation for those who plan to obtain a certificate to teach social studies in grades 6-12. The state of Oklahoma requires teacher education to be competency based; thus, this degree aims at providing students with the knowledge and skills to achieve competency in the various social studies.
The program requires a minimum total of 45 hours distributed among all of the following fields: American history, world history, historical research, Oklahoma history, government, sociology, economics, and geography. Historical research is not a teaching area, but 6 hours are required for the degree.
An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Science in Social Studies Education will:
- Have a broad knowledge of the fundamentals of the social studies, including American and world history, political science, economics, sociology, and geography.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the nature of history and knowledge of basic research techniques, the use of documents, and the handling of evidence, as part of a Christian worldview.
- Demonstrate analytical and critical thinking through effective communication of independent research.
- Understand and employ principles of effective teaching.
- See teaching as an opportunity for Christian service as well as a vocation.
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
6 Hours required American history
- HIST-2213 History of the U.S. to 1877
- HIST-2223 History of the U.S. Since 1877
6 Hours 3000/4000 level American history courses
- HIST-4013 American Revolutionary and Early National Eras is highly recommended
3 Hours required western civilization
- HIST-2923 Perspectives in Western Civilization
6 Hours other world history, including 3 hours numbered 3000 and above
- HIST-2613 The Modern Middle East is highly recommended
6 Hours research courses
Both courses must be passed with a grade of C or better
- HIST-2123 Introduction to Historical Research
- HIST-4733 Senior History Seminar
6 Hours geography
- GEOG-2113 Elements of Human Geography
- GEOG-2213 World Regional Geography
3 Hours economics
- ECON-2113 Macroeconomic Principles
3 Hours American government
- POLS-2113 Introduction to American Government
3 Hours sociology
- SOCI-1113 Perspectives in Sociology
3 Hours Oklahoma history
- HIST-2313 Oklahoma History
25 semester hours professional education
- EDUC-3121 Orientation to Teacher Education
- EDUC-3122 The School in American Culture
- EDUC-3131 Classroom Management Strategies I
- EDUC-3213 Learning, Instruction, and Assessment
- EDUC-3422 Educational Technology
- EDUC-3723 Education of the Exceptional Child
- EDUC-4012 Human Relations and Cultural Awareness
- EDUC-4131 Applied Instructional and Assessment Strategies
- EDUC-4231 Critical Issues in Education
- EDUC-4332 Classroom Management Strategies II
- EDUC-4718 Student Teaching in the Secondary Schools
5 Hours other courses
- EDUC-4112 Literacy in the Secondary Content Areas
- PSYC-3523 Developmental Psychology
3 Hours methods course
- EDUC-4473 Methods of Teaching Social Studies in Sec. Schools
Foreign language competency choose one:
- High School Foreign Language – 2 years of same language with a grade of “C” or better
- University credit – 3 hours foreign language or American Sign Language with a grade of “C” or better.