B.F.A. Degree in Graphic Design
This major is for the person wanting to be an animator, game designer, art director, graphic designer, web designer, account executive, or copywriter for an advertising agency, graphic design studio, “in-house” corporate art department, or interactive design company.
An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Graphic Design will:
1. Demonstrate a commitment to scholarship, creative expression, and independent thought.
2. Demonstrate effective visual problem solving skills.
3. Produce an organized, coherent body of work and critically defend it.
4. Demonstrate a working understanding of art/design history, genres, movements, and practitioners.
5. Demonstrate an understanding of the role of faith in his or her personal creative expression.
6. Analyze and respond to personal experience, professional standards, ethics, and global perspectives. 7. Demonstrate an ability to critically evaluate peer and professional work in his or her discipline.
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
15 hours foundation
- ARTS-1113 - Fundamentals of Drawing
- ARTS-1213 - Figure Drawing
- ARTS-1413 - Elements of Visual Thinking
- ARTS-3343 - Ancient to Modern Art History
- ARTS-3773 - Business of Branding Yourself
30 hours Communication Design
- ARTS-2223 - Introduction to Communication Design
- ARTS-2233 - Typography As Visual Language
- ARTS-3243 - Graphic Design
- ARTS-3253 - Print + Social Media Design
- ARTS-3263 - Advanced Graphic Design
- ARTS-3523 -Conceptual Illustration
- ARTS-3333 - History of Design
- ARTS-3513 - Graphic Arts Production
- ARTS-4253 - Integrated Marketing Design
- ARTS-4523 - Visual Storytelling
12 hours Digital Design
- ARTS-1103 - Digital Imaging I
- ARTS-2243 - Interactive Media Design I
- ARTS-2323 - Digital Imaging II
- ARTS-3443 - Interactive Media Design II
15 hours electives chosen from:
Any Art and Design courses not already taken and/or the following courses from the Department of Communication
- COMM-2413 - Photographic Principles and Practices
- COMM-2633 - Audio for Media
- COMM-2643 - Media Production
- COMM-3653 - Editing and Field Production
- COMM-3703 - Motion Graphics
- COMM-4763 - Advanced Media Production
Can choose specialized areas such as
Illustration and Fine Arts
Gaming and Animation
Photography and Videography
COMM-3703 Motion Graphics is strongly recommended as one of the courses chosen in the elective area