B.S. Degree in Mass Communication, Electronic Media - Media Management
An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree in Mass Communication, Electronic Media-Broadcast Management will:
- Have been encouraged to sustain or adopt a Christian worldview characterized by participation in a Christian community.
- Have been encouraged to balance career, family, church, and community successfully.
- Be familiar with the appropriate theories of communication.
- Have developed the appropriate writing styles and skills expected by future employers or graduate programs.
- Have an understanding of the fundamentals of research and be able to interpret research findings.
- Understand the ethics of communication.
- Be able to pursue successfully a career as a media salesperson or on-air radio personality possessing the talents to advance beyond an entry-level of employment.
- Operate within legal frameworks and guidelines of media.
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
10 Hours mass communication foundation
- COMM-2613 Media, Faith, and Culture
- COMM-4631 Senior Seminar in Communication
- COMM-4713 Media Law
- COMM-4723 Media Ethics
5 Hours experience
You must take COMM-1371 or COMM-3371 each semester after completing COMM-1211. After satisfying the major requirement, additional practicum hours will count toward the 126 hours required for the degree. Internships may be substituted for two of these hours.
32 Hours media management required
- COMM-1211 Introduction to Electronic Media
- COMM-2113 Writing for Media
- COMM-2213 Voice and Articulation
- COMM-2643 Media Production
- COMM-2813 Advertising Principles
- COMM-3343 Campaigns
- COMM-3371 Advanced Broadcasting Workshop
- COMM-3633 Audio for Media
- COMM-3653 Field Production and Editing
- COMM-3723 Interviewing
- COMM-3733 Media Marketing and Sales
- COMM-4513 Administrative Aspects of Electronic Media
3 Hours news elective
- COMM-3453 Electronic News Writing
- COMM-4123 Electronic News Producing
3 Hours business required
- MGMT-3113 Principles of Management
3 Hours business electives
- Any management or marketing course