B.S. Degree in Nutrition and Exercise Science
The major consists of three years of university work, plus two semesters of Nutrition and Exercise Science Program courses.
An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree in Nutrition and Exercise Science will:
- Demonstrate active Christian faith through service, fellowship, and engagement.
- Exhibit a breadth of knowledge with regard to nutrition and exercise science by displaying competency via both oral and standardized check-point exams.
- Be able to identify and utilize evidenced-based, reputable, and reliable sources of health information.
- Be able to determine which tests and markers are best used to assess an individual’s health status, as well as the physiological rationale for these tests and markers.
- Be able to recognize health issues or other problems in the world around them and formulate an evidence-based strategy to address and improve/resolve the issues.
- Possess the ability to deliver nutrition and exercise information to health professionals, as well as the general public, via both personal conversation and professional presentation.
- Be equipped to help others, both domestically and internationally, and prevent and manage health problems that are related to nutrition and exercise.
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
19 Hours chemistry
- CHEM-1115 General Chemistry I
- CHEM-1215 General Chemistry II
- CHEM-3115 Organic Chemistry I
- CHEM-4014 Biochemistry I with Lab
23 Hours biology
- BIOL-1115 General Biology I: Cellular and Molecular Systems
- BIOL-2033 Nutrition
- BIBL-2244 Human Anatomy
- BIOL-2624 Principles of Microbiology
- BIOL-2913 Biostatistics
- BIOL-3224 Human Physiology
3 Hours mathematics
- MATH-1223 Mathematical Functions and Modeling
3 Hours behavioral science chosen from
- PSYC-1113 General Psychology I
- SOCI-1113 Sociology
2 Hour science seminar
- GNSC-1711 Freshman Science Seminar
- GNSC-2711 Sophomore Science Seminar
4 Hours physics with laboratory
- PHYS-1114 College Physics I
Complete 22 hours nutrition and exercise science program
- NESP-1013 Introduction to Exercise Science
- NESP-2123 Public Health Nutrition Missions
- NESP-3123 Health Issues
- NESP-3233 Exercise and Physiology
- NESP-3231 Exercise Physiology Lab
- NESP-4123 Nutrition Metabolism
- NESP-4133 Nutrition and Exercise
- NESP-4443 Capstone in Nutrition and Exercise Science
Choose an emphasis 6 or 7 hours
- NESP-3004 Science of Food
- NESP-3013 Lifespan Nutrition
- NESP-3023 Biomechanics
- NESP-3033 Exercise Testing and Prescription
Note: program requirements:
Before taking any 3000/4000 level NESP courses, you must:
- Complete 18 hours of biology foundation.
- Maintain a major GPA of 2.5.
- Complete all prerequisite courses with a grade of “C” or better.
- Complete GNSC-1711 and GNSC-2711; while enrolled, students must seek approval to add upper division biology courses.
- Complete ENGL-1213 with a grade of “C” or better.
- Obtain departmental approval.