B.S. Degree in Cellular and Molecular Biology
This major consists of four years of study in biology, biochemistry, chemistry, and physics that is designed to prepare students for future professional and graduate level programs. This major would be appropriate for students interested in a pre-med course of study.
An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree in Cellular and Molecular Biology will:
- Mature in active faith by developing a consistent and rational view of science and Christianity and demonstrating a lifestyle of service, discipleship, and integrity.
- Demonstrate a fundamental body of knowledge in biological and physical sciences by meeting or exceeding the national average in standardized tests of biology and chemistry.
- Effectively acquire, critically analyze, and apply knowledge from primary scientific literature.
- Conduct research using appropriate formatting, techniques, and development of research plans.
- Design and execute experiments, interpret data, and formulate conclusions.
- Effectively communicate personal research as well as scientific and medical advances to the scientific community or the general public.
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
14 Hours biology foundation
- BIOL-1115 General Biology I: Cellular and Molecular Systems
- BIOL-1215 General Biology II: Comparative Physiology and Ecology
- BIOL-2314 Genetics
14 Hours required upper division biology
- BIOL-4014 Biochemistry I
- BIOL-4123 Biochemistry II
- BIOL-4223 Molecular Biology
- BIOL-4301 Molecular Biology Lab
- BIOL-4323 Advanced Cellular Biology
12 Hours elective upper division biology
- 3000/4000 Biology
- Maximum 4 hours of Undergraduate Research or Field Medicine Practicum
19 Hours chemistry
- CHEM-1115 General Chemistry I
- CHEM-1215 General Chemistry II
- CHEM-3115 Organic Chemistry I
- CHEM-3124 Organic Chemistry II
8 Hours physics with laboratory
- PHYS-1114 College Physics I
- PHYS-2514 Physics I
- PHYS-1214 College Physics II
- PHYS 2614 Physics II
3-4 Hours mathematics chosen from
- MATH-1223 Mathematical Functions and Modeling
- MATH-2114 Calculus I with Analytical Geometry
3 Hours statistics
- BIOL-2913 Biostatistics
5 Hours science seminar
- GNSC-1711 Freshman Science Seminar
- GNSC-2711 Sophomore Science Seminar
- GNSC-3711 Junior Science Seminar
- GNSC-4712 Senior Science Seminar
Note: Transfer students must complete at least 30 hours (two semesters) at OC to be eligible to enroll in the clinical training courses.
Note: program requirements:
Before taking any 3000/4000 level biology classes, you must:
- Complete 14 hours of biology foundation.
- Maintain a major GPA of 2.5.
- Complete all prerequisite courses with a grade of “C” or better.
- Complete GNSC-1711 and GNSC-2711; while enrolled, students must seek approval to add upper division biology courses.
- Complete ENGL-1213 with a grade of “C” or better.
- Obtain departmental approval.