B.S. Degree in Biology
An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology will:
- Mature in active faith by developing a consistent and rational view of science and Christianity and demonstrating a lifestyle of service, discipleship, and integrity.
- Demonstrate a fundamental body of knowledge in biological and physical sciences by meeting or exceeding the national average in standardized tests of biology and chemistry.
- Effectively acquire, critically analyze, and apply knowledge from primary scientific literature.
- Conduct research using appropriate formatting, techniques, and development of research plans.
- Design and execute experiments, interpret data, and formulate conclusions.
- Effectively communicate personal research as well as scientific and medical advances to the scientific community or the general public.
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
18 Hours biology foundation
- BIOL-1115 General Biology I: Cellular and Molecular Systems
- BIOL-1215 General Biology II: Comparative Physiology and Ecology
- BIOL-2244 Human Anatomy
- BIOL-2314 Genetics
22 Hours 3000/4000 level biology courses
- Must include 6 lecture and 4 lab courses
- Up to 4 hours can be satisfied by Undergraduate Research
15 Hours chemistry
- CHEM-1115 General Chemistry I
- CHEM-1215 General Chemistry II
- CHEM-3115 Organic Chemistry I
3-4 Hours mathematics chosen from
- MATH-1213 College Algebra
- MATH-2114 Calculus I with Analytical Geometry
3 Hours statistics
- BIOL-2913 Biostatistics
4 Hours physics with laboratory chosen from
- PHYS-1114 College Physics I
- PHYS-2514 Physics I
5 Hours science seminar
- GNSC-1711 Freshman Science Seminar
- GNSC-2711 Sophomore Science Seminar
- GNSC-3711 Junior Science Seminar
- GNSC-4712 Senior Science Seminar
Recommended, but not required
- MATH-1523 Trigonometry
Note: program requirements:
Before taking any 3000/4000 level biology classes, you must:
- Complete 18 hours of biology foundation.
- Maintain a major GPA of 2.5.
- Complete all prerequisite courses with a grade of “C” or better.
- Complete GNSC-1711 and GNSC-2711; while enrolled, students must seek approval to add upper division biology courses.
- Complete ENGL-1213 with a grade of “C” or better.
- Obtain departmental approval.