B.A. Degree in Youth Ministry
Plus 6 additional hours in biblical languages
The major in youth ministry offers students an opportunity to make special preparation to serve as youth ministers while laying a strong foundation in a study of the Bible and Bible-related subjects. The purpose of the youth ministry major at OC is to equip students to minister with adolescents and their families. An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Youth Ministry will be able to:
- Compile and keep updated a list of 10 (or more) current resources for acquiring knowledge and facts about youth and family culture in North America.
- Produce a one-year calendar for youth and family ministry.
- Interview authorities trained in the field of counseling to understand who is available in their city.
- Employ resources (i.e., Dare 2 Share, YLM, SWAT) designed to teach youth how to share the Gospel with their peers.
- Implement spiritual disciplines for one’s own spiritual formation and help others do the same.
- Develop lesson plans and teach the Bible in a manner relevant to the specific needs of youth.
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
15 Hours Bible
- BIBL-2713 Introduction to Ministry
- BIBL-3013 Hermeneutics
- BIBL-3203 Biblical Exegesis
- BIBL-3823 Counseling for Ministers
- BIBL-4753 Seminar in Christian Ministry
2-3 Hours evangelism
- BIBL-2512 Personal Evangelism
- BIBL-3063 Evangelism and Discipleship
3 Hours chosen from
- BIBL-3253 Teaching the Bible
- BIBL-3913 Homiletics I: Preparation and Delivery of Religious Speeches
6 Hours required
- BIBL-4213 Teaching the Bible to Adolescents
- YTMN-4823 Youth Ministry Internship
9 Hours chosen from
- YTMN-2123 Counseling Adolescents
- YTMN-2213 Introduction to Youth and Family Ministry as a Profession
- YTMN-2233 Experiential Teaching Methods in the Outdoors
- YTMN-3113 Evangelism, Discipleship, and Spiritual Formation with Adolescents
- YTMN-3213 Models and Programming in Youth Ministry
- YTMN-4113 Adolescent Spirituality, Morality, and Culture
- YTMN-4313 Volunteers, Parents, and Staff in Youth and Family Ministry
3 Hours practicum required
- YTMN-4813 Youth Ministry Teaching Practicum
3 Hours required
- BIBL-3413 Christian Family
3 Hours chosen from
- FMST-2423 Parent-Child Relations
- FMST-3913 Family Development
6 Hours psychology
- PSYC-1113 General Psychology I
- PSYC-3523 Developmental Psychology
6 Hours Old Testament textual
9 Hours New Testament textual
6 Hours elective textual
6 Hours biblical languages
A student must take 6 hours of Greek or 6 hours of Hebrew in addition to the above requirements for the B.A. in Youth Ministry
- GREK-1113 Elementary Greek I
- GREK-1213 Elementary Greek II
- HBRW-3113 Elementary Hebrew I
- HBRW-3213 Elementary Hebrew II