B.A. Degree in Children’s Ministry
Plus 6 additional hours in foreign language
This major is for those wishing to work primarily in the children’s ministry program of the church. It combines study of the biblical text with practical application courses in several disciplines. The purpose of the children’s ministry major at OC is to equip students to minister to children, parents and families in the local church setting. An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Children’s Ministry will be able to:
- Plan and deploy a yearly program of activities that reinforce the core values of the Christian faith.
- Articulate and apply a written philosophy of ministry that involves parents and volunteers.
- Differentiate the knowledge of family issues between those that need professional care and those that do not.
- Articulate the methodology of teaching the Bible using age appropriate methods, themes and elements that contribute to learning.
- Define and illustrate methods of leadership and service to families, the church and the community.
- Work in unison with a multi-staff church.
- Research and represent methods that assist parents in carrying out their God-given duty to spiritually form their children.
- Evaluate and distinguish methods, laws and curriculum that affect ministry to children, parents and family.
- Demonstrate and articulate techniques of exegesis and hermeneutics to present practical and effective biblical lessons and presentations.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the use of learning techniques of lesson planning, organization, illustration, stories and multi-media.
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
18 Hours Bible
- BIBL-2713 Introduction to Ministry
- BIBL-3013 Hermeneutics
- BIBL-3203 Biblical Exegesis
- BIBL-3823 Counseling for Ministers
- BIBL-3913 Homiletics I: Preparation and Delivery of Religious Speeches
- BIBL-4753 Seminar in Christian Ministry
2-3 Hours evangelism
- BIBL-2512 Personal Evangelism
- BIBL-3063 Evangelism and Discipleship
9 Hours Old Testament textual
12 Hours New Testament textual
6 Hours non-textual Bible
- BIBL-3413 Christian Family
- BIBL-4713 Restoration Movement
3 Hours Psychology
- PSYC-3523 Developmental Psychology
19 Hours children's ministry
- CMIN-1202 Introduction to Children’s Ministry
- CMIN-2122 Teaching the Bible to Preschoolers Birth-5 Years
- CMIN-2222 Teaching the Bible to Elementary Children Grades 1-6
- CMIN-3213 Curriculum Development for Children’s Ministry
- CMIN-3403 Leadership & Administration of Children’s Ministry
- CMIN-3612 Spiritual Development of Children
- CMIN-4313 Volunteers, Parents, and Staff in Youth and Family Ministry
- CMIN-4412 Vital Issues in Children’s Ministry
2 Hours internship
- CMIN-4822 Children’s Ministry Practical Experience
6 Hours foreign language
A student must take 6 hours of any foreign language in addition to the above requirements for the BA degree in Children’s Ministry.