75 hours, Professional Education Minor included
An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Science in Education degree in Mathematics Education will:
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the foundational principles of analysis, algebra, and geometry and be able to use standard problem-solving methods in a variety of contexts.
- Exhibit the ability to adapt to new environments and advances in technology, apply research methodologies, and to learn independently.
- Work effectively with others, including the ability to describe mathematical problems, solutions, proofs, and logical arguments in a clear, concise manner using both written and oral communication.
- Possess a working knowledge of sound and current pedagogical techniques for the teaching of mathematics at the secondary level.
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the liberal arts, living as a person of integrity with an ability to think, act, and communicate from a Christian worldview in all areas of life.
Students must complete a minimum of 122 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 122 hours.
33 HOURS MATHEMATICS REQUIRED
- MATH-1623 Introduction to Discrete Mathematics
- MATH-2114 Calculus I with Analytical Geometry
- MATH-2214 Calculus II with Analytical Geometry
- MATH-2314 Calculus III
- MATH-2913 Statistical Methods
- MATH-3123 Mathematical Modeling and Strategies for Secondary Teachers
- MATH-3313 Modern Algebra I
- MATH-3513 Linear Algebra
- MATH-3813 Modern Geometry
- MATH-4113 Probability and Statistics I
3 HOURS UPPER DIVISION MATHEMATICS
3 HOURS COMPUTER SCIENCE REQUIRED
3 HOURS ELECTIVES
- Take any other computer science course or any upper division mathematics course not already taken.
5 HOURS OTHER COURSES
3 HOURS METHODS COURSE
Professional Education Minor
25 SEMESTER HOURS PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION
- EDUC-3121 Orientation to Teacher Education
- EDUC-3122 The School in American Culture
- EDUC-3131 Classroom Management Strategies I
- EDUC-3213 Learning, Instruction, and Assessment
- EDUC-3421 Educational Technology
- EDUC-3723 Education of the Exceptional Child
- EDUC-4013 Human Relations and Cultural Awareness
- EDUC-4131 Applied Instructional and Assessment Strategies
- EDUC-4231 Critical Issues in Education
- EDUC-4331 Classroom Management Strategies II
- EDUC-4718 Student Teaching in the Secondary Schools
FOREIGN LANGUAGE COMPETENCY - CHOOSE ONE:
- High school foreign language - 2 years of same foreign language with a grade of “C” or better OR university credit - 3 hours foreign language or American Sign language with a grade of “C” or better
University Core Curriculum
B.S.E. - 51 Hours - Courses May Not Be Repeated Within Core
COMMUNICATION, 9 HOURS
MATHEMATICS, 3 HOURS
REQUIRED BIBLE, 6 HOURS
- BIBL-1023: Foundations: Introduction to the Good Life
- BIBL-1103: Story: Introduction to Christian Worldview
BIBLE ELECTIVES, 3 HOURS
CAPSTONE, 3 HOURS
POLITICAL SCIENCE, 3 HOURS
AMERICAN HISTORY, 3 HOURS
GREAT WORKS, 3 HOURS
SCIENCE, 6 HOURS
- One course must include a lab
BEHAVIORAL SCIENCE, 3 HOURS
DEV PSYCHOLOGY, 3 HOURS
LIBERAL ARTS, 6 HOURS
- 6 hours from any liberal arts area, other than History.