An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree in Mass Communication-Public Relations will:
- Have been encouraged to sustain or adopt a Christian worldview characterized by participation in a Christian community.
- Have been encouraged to balance successfully career, family, church and community.
- Be familiar with the appropriate theories of communication.
- Have developed the appropriate writing styles and skills expected by future employers or graduate programs.
- Have an understanding of the fundamentals or research and be able to interpret research findings.
- Understand the ethics of communication.
- Be able successfully to pursue a master’s degree in business or public relations, or to pursue a career in public relations, corporate communications or a communications profession in an agency, firm, corporation, non-profit, sports franchise, or other organizational environment.
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
1. 10 hours mass communication core courses
- COMM-2613 - Media, Faith and Culture
- COMM-4631 - Senior Seminar in Communication
- COMM-4713 - Media Law
- COMM-4723 - Media Ethics
2. 3 hours experience: You must choose from
- COMM-1341 - Newspaper Workshop
- COMM-1351 - Advanced Newspaper Workshop
- COMM-1371 - Broadcast Workshop
- COMM-1381 - Advanced Broadcast Workshop
- COMM-3341 - Public Relations Workshop
An internship may be substituted for one of these hours.
3. 33 hours public relations required
- COMM-2113 - Writing Across Media
- COMM-2413 - Photographic Principles and Practices
- COMM-2643 - Media Production
- COMM-2813 - Advertising Principles
- COMM-2823 - Public Relations Principles
- COMM-2833 - Reporting
- COMM-3233 -Public Image & Reputation Management
- COMM-3343 - Campaigns
- COMM-3543 - Public Relations Case Studies
- COMM-3743 - Public Relations Writing and Production Techniques
- COMM-4663 - Symposium in Public Relations Research and Practice
4. 6 hours required
- ARTS-1103 - Technology for Graphics
- MKTG-3313 - Principles of Marketing
5. 6 hours restricted electives
- COMM-3143 - Basics of Visual Communication
- COMM-3243 - Planning, Organizing, and Leading Events
- COMM-3723 - Interviewing
- COMM-3733 - Media Marketing and Sales
- MGMT-3113 - Principles of Management
- MKTG-3513 - Electronic Commerce and Online Marketing
- MKTG-4513 - Marketing Research
- Digital Media Professional
- Events Planner
- News Manager
- Public Relations Specialist
- Sound Engineer
- Web Designer