B.S. Degree in Organizational Communication
This degree is designed to be a concentrated study of the role of communication in a wide variety of organizations, including businesses, churches, and voluntary agencies. Courses are designed to educate the student to help organizations meet their goals and objectives through improved communication.
An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree in Organizational Communication will:
- Have been encouraged to sustain or adopt a Christian worldview characterized by participation in a Christian community.
- Have been encouraged to balance successfully career, family, church and community.
- Be familiar with the appropriate theories of communication.
- Have developed the appropriate writing styles and skills expected by future employers or graduate programs.
- Have an understanding of the fundamentals or research and be able to interpret research findings.
- Understand the ethics of communication.
- Be able successfully to pursue a master’s degree in business or communication, or to pursue a career in a communication-related profession in a firm, corporation, non-profit, or other organizational environment.
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
1. 10 hours communication core courses
- COMM-2513 - Communication Theory
- COMM-4113 - Persuasion and Advocacy
- COMM-4631 - Senior Seminar in Communication
- COMM-4733 - Communication Ethics
2. 3 hours workshop or internship in mass communicationwith departmental approval these may be replaced with an advanced course
3. 24 hours organizational communication
- COMM-2113 - Writing Across Media
- COMM-2643 - Media Production
- COMM-2823 - Public Relations Principles
- COMM-3113 - Business and Professional Communication
- COMM-3323 - Organizational Communication
- COMM-3333 - Teams and Team Leadership
- COMM-3343 - Campaigns
- COMM-3723 - Interviewing
4. 7 hours business required
- BUSA-1211 - Introduction to Business
- MGMT-3113 - Principles of Management
- MGMT-4313 - Organizational Behavior
5. 3 hours mathematics required
- Digital Media Professional
- Events Planner
- News Manager
- Public Relations Specialist
- Sound Engineer
- Web Designer
For more information, contact:
Dr. Larry Jurney