43 hours, minor required
An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Public Communication and Leadership will:
- Learn a variety of theories related to communication and leadership and will learn how to apply those theories in praxis.
- Learn a variety of communicative and leadership skills and techniques for the management of interpersonal relations, group leadership and social media.
- Explore ethical approaches to communication leadership and from a Christian faith perspective.
- Learn ethical persuasive techniques, grounded in Christian faith, to help them become skillful advocates for important social issues.
- Learn how to plan, host and conduct public forums for issues of public importance and controversial issues.
- Learn peacemaking and conflict management skills.
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
1. 13 hours communication core courses
- COMM-2513 - Communication Theory
- COMM-3333 - Teams and Team Leadership
- COMM-4113 - Persuasion and Advocacy
- COMM-4631 - Senior Seminar in Communication
- COMM-4733 - Communication Ethics
2. 21 hours communication leadership
- COMM-2113 - Writing Across Media
- COMM-3233 - Public Image & Reputation Management
- COMM-3243 - Planning, Organizing, and Leading Events
- COMM-3323 - Organizational Communication
- COMM-4633 - Intercultural Communication I
- COMM-4673 - Symposium in Public Communication & Leadership
- COMM-4523 - Conflict Resolution and Negotiation
3. 6 hours chosen from
4. 3 hours chosen from
6. 6 hours foreign language
Take 6 hours of the same foreign language
- State Government
- Local Government
- Public Administration
- Public Organizations
- Nonprofit Organizations