This scholarly trip is filled with learning and fun. From professional Shakespeare productions to the world's largest Christmas store to the magnificent Niagara Falls, this is summer learning at its best!
This fun and informative tour has space for 18 students. We attend several professional plays at two festivals during our Canadian visit. We also attend a backstage tour and a private session with some of the actors. A prop and costume tour is also available.
As we drive along, share our meals together and enjoy the trip, we will be talking about theater, performances and great literature. You will learn and have fun at the same time. After the plays, we often visit a local coffee house for more discussion.
You may ride with us from Oklahoma City or fly into Indianapolis, Indiana, and join the group there. You must make your own flight arrangements and payments. There is no change in our travel fee.
- Completed one year of college by the time of participation
- Cumulative grade point average of 2.5
- Approval from Student Services and Financial Services
- Recommendations from three people who can give information about character, reliability and suitability for the program.
You may get credit in any one of the following courses:
|ENGL 2213||Comm III|
|FINE 2213||Perspectives in Literature|
|COMM 4813||Perspectives in Fine Arts|
You must choose one of these courses. The class may fulfill your general education core requirements for Comm III Literature or Fine Arts. It may also count as an elective.
The reading and writing assignments for the trip depend in part on the course selected. The class will meet twice during the spring term (usually Wednesday at 5:00 pm) for preparation for the summer trip.
All students are required to participate in all lectures, tours and discussions of the core program components.
Program Costs and Features
Total Program Costs: $1,110 plus summer tuition
Features may include (included in program cost):
- Round-trip travel from Oklahoma City to Canada
- Local transportation
- Daily breakfast
- All play tickets
- Lunch at an Amish Restaurant
- Tour of the Henry Ford Museum and Village
- Visit to the World's Largest Christmas Store
- Lunch at LaPuma's in Rochester
- Stop in a German settlement
- Visit to the Detroit Institute of the Arts
- Dinner in Greektown
- 6 Performances at the Shakespeare Festival
- Trip to Niagara Falls
- Stop in Indianapolis
Not included in program cost:
- Additional lunches and dinners*
- Phone calls
- Spending money for personal items, souvenirs, laundry, extra activities, etc.
- Passport photos
*Travel fee does not cover other meals unless indicated. We stop where there are a choice of restaurants for every budget. Although US-Canadian exchange rates vary, $35 a day should cover other meals and incidentals for most students. The daily cost averages a bit less in the U.S. portion of the trip and a bit more in Canada.
**Please note - Passports are now required to re-enter the United States from Canada. You may use either a full passport or the less expensive card style. Please apply for your passport at lease four to six months in advance.
A nonrefundable deposit of $250 is required after a student is approved for the program.
- Load vans - Travel to Indianapolis
- Dearborn, MI - Visit Henry Ford Museum
- Frankenmuth, MI - Christmas Store, Institute of Arts
- Performances in Stratford, Canada
- Worship followed by performances at Stratford Festival
- Presentations and shopping in Stratford
- Presentations and performances
- Theater tour and performances
- Travel to Niagara Falls and performance
- Back to U.S. - Lunch at Amish Restaurant
- Back to OC
What Other Students Have Said...
"One of the best and most memorable weeks I had during college." - Wes McKinzie
"It went over my expectations!" - Kristen Chapman Cumbie
"One of the greatest trips of my life. I made new friends, saw great new places and experienced the absolute best acting." - Mitch Warren