NOTE: This job listing has closed. As of July 21, 2017, we are no longer seeking applicants.
Position: The responsibility of a Freshman Counselor is to support the mission of Freshman Experience. Reporting to the Director of Freshman Experience, the Freshman Counselor is to be purposeful and intentional in helping Oklahoma Christian freshmen achieve success academically, spiritually and socially. This position is specifically assigned to work with first year male students.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Ability to communicate in both form and substance in a manner that affects a positive and professional image for the University and the Student Life Office.
- Ability to effectively present information and to respond to questions from individuals and groups, including employees, parents, and the general public.
- Ability to use computer and computer related programs and other technologies needed to perform essential job functions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, faculty, staff, and the community.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and ability to communicate and positively engage students and colleagues across racial, gender and cultural barriers.
- Active membership in a congregation of the Church of Christ.
- Be the example of a Christ-centered professional and to actively seek opportunities to encourage the development of student’s spirituality.
- Assist in developing, implementing, and coordinative activities that introduce new students to Oklahoma Christian.
- Support programs that are developed and executed by the Freshman Experience office, with the goal of enriching and encouraging success in our first year students.
- Participate in on campus activities and support programs across campus, which will be an encouragement to all our students, staff, and faculty.
- Be accountable for students retention and to use Lighthouse to track the success of students.
- Assume the responsibility of freshman officers and develop on-going training for them throughout the school year.
- Communicate with various faculty and offices, such as housing, financial services, and registrars, about situations regarding students and seek to help the student find positive outcomes.
- To support, assist, and be an active contributor to the Student Life Office, as they seek to better the lives of every student at Oklahoma Christian.
- Comfortable with being around new people and to have the ability to facilitate conversation.
- Must be punctual and detail oriented.
- Standard office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Occasional attendance at evening and weekend events is required.
Salary and Benefits:
- Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications and comparable higher education cohort benchmarks.
- Standard University benefits package:
- Health insurance premium support
- Retirement plan: 403(b) matching contribution
- Tuition discount and other staff benefits
Timetable: Application review begins June 14, 2017 and continues until position is filled. To apply, submit a resume, cover letter, statement of faith, and OC application form to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or Box 11000, Oklahoma City, OK 73136.
Oklahoma Christian University is a private liberal arts university affiliated with the Churches of Christ. The University complies with all laws regarding race, color, age, sex, national origin, marital status, military service, and disability. As a religious educational institution the University is permitted by law to consider religious beliefs and practices in making employment decisions and the University does so to achieve its mission.
Oklahoma Christian University is looking for employees who are willing to express the “The Second Mile-Serving One Another” goal of the University, to demonstrate a personal faith in Jesus Christ, to be actively involved in a local Church of Christ, and to support the Christian mission of the University.