Below are some solutions for homesickness that are often helpful:
1. Call home. This may sound like common sense, but it can really help. The key factor, however, is not to call home all of the time. Don't call more than once a day, and keep the conversation positive. But if you miss your friends, family, boyfriend, or girlfriend, giving them a call can sometimes help ease the heartache.
2. Go visit home -- once. Visiting home can be a great way to recharge yourself and get some of that TLC (not to mention home cooking) that you need. But going home too often can frequently make homesickness worse. Let yourself go home when you need it, but make sure it doesn't turn into an every-weekend occurrence.
3. Go out with your college friends. Sometimes, a night out with your college friends can do wonders for homesickness. It can take your mind off of things back home, can help you relax and have a good time, and can reinforce relationships that will make OC feel like home sometime soon.
4. Call a friend from back home. Chances are that your group of friends spread out as each of you went to different colleges. And chances are that your group of friends is missing each other. Give a friend from home a call and catch up for a little while. It may do wonders for your homesickness to just touch base for a quick phone call.
5. Get out of your room. It's incredibly easy to hide in your room in college. But doing so prevents you from meeting new people, trying new things, and experiencing college life in general. You didn't go to school to hide in your room, right? Make sure to spend large chunks of your time out of your room -- even if it's just at the student center, the caf, or the library -- and get your mind on other things. You never know what might happen, but you do know that it won't happen if you're alone in your room all the time.
If you continue to experience symptoms of homesickness and would like to discuss other possible solutions, please contact the University Counseling Center at 405-425-5250 or email@example.com.