The purpose of a cover letter is to clearly explain to employers how the qualifications set forth in your resume make you an appropriate choice for the position available.
Before you begin:
- List the most important qualifications stated in the job listing.
- Look over your resume and high-ligh experiences that meet these criteria.
- Research the company/organization and have an understanding of their mission and what they do.
- Each letter your write should be unique and targeted to a specific employer and position.
- Do not repeat your resume in your cover letter. The cover letter is a place for you to expand on and high-ligh the great experiences you have had that are relevant to the job. Listing one or two should be enough.
- Take your time with your cover letter! Have at least two people proof-read the document before you send it in.