Dress for Success 101
Tips on How to Accessorize Shoe Styles What to Wear
Summer Styles for Ladies Summer Styles for Men Shirt Sense
What Color is Best for You? Beards in the Workplace How to Tie a Windsor Knot
TIPS FOR MEN
- Acceptable colors are navy, charcoal, light gray, and brown or beige.
- Fabric should be 100% wool and should be conservative, not flashy.
- The darker the suit, the more authority it carries. Solid colors and pin stripes are acceptable, so long as the stripes are thin and narrow.
- Rule #1: Always wear a long sleeved shirt
- Rule #2: Always wear a white or pale blue shirt (conveys honesty, stability)
- Rule #3: No monograms
- Rule #4: Always make sure the shirt is starched.
- A cheap looking tie can ruin an expensive suit.
- The right tie should be pure silk.
- The knot should be small, the length to the belt, the width no more than 2 ¾ to 3 ½".
- Do not wear polka dots, animal pictures or symbols such as golf clubs. No bow ties.
- Black or brown leather. No lace wing tips but you can wear slip-ons with out a tassel.
- Should complement the suit.
- Wear dark colors and make sure they are long enough so you do not bare shins when crossing legs.
- Do not cross legs during an interview even if your interviewer does.
- A simple watch and wedding band(if married) will do. No chains, earrings, nose-rings, pins, etc.
TIPS FOR WOMEN
- Wear only dark tailored suites or skirt suites, conservative cut and length to the knee (never longer)
- Wool or non crinkle fabric. Synthetics tend to retain odor even after dry cleaning.
- No reds or purples. Wool gabardine is most popular.
- Pant suits are okay in today’s business environment, but be careful of trendy styles.
- Solid colors, long sleeves, with collar buttoned.
- Be careful of fads and new styles. You never know how traditional the person interviewing you will be.
- If you are unsure; change.
- A good light scarf conservatively draped is acceptable.
- Leather pumps or laced oxfords with heels in dark colors. No reds, or light colors.
- Natural skin tones or black is acceptable.
- A briefcase, or handbag is acceptable. Not both.
- Transfer essentials or makeup to a clutch which fits inside your briefcase.
- Conservative and the width of the waistband.
- Wear only a tailored conservative pant/suit.
- Less and small is more. Nothing too dangly.
- Professional and less to complement the colors of clothes.
OTHER TIPS FOR INTERVIEWS
- Do not wear any cologne or fragrance. Your interviewer may be allergic and this is the best way to cut the interview short.
- If you smoke, do not do so before an interview.
Fit & Feel
- You want to be comfortable, so try sitting in a chair in front of a mirror to double-check lengths, blouse buttons, etc. Make sure nothing is too tight or rides up on you.
- If you are in question about your outfit...change.