Student Travel Stipend
The purpose of the Northwest Endowment Fund travel stipends is to help students from the Pacific Northwest to obtain Christian higher education and to strengthen the churches of Christ in the Pacific Northwest. To that end, eligible students will be considered for a one-time stipend of $500-$1,500 to be disbursed after enrollment at a church of Christ affiliated College or University to reimburse travel expenses such as those incurred to arrive at school in the fall or travel home for a holiday. Students with plans to return to the Pacific Northwest and be an active member of a local congregation of the churches of Christ will be given preference for these stipends.
In order to be considered for the stipend, students must meet each of the following criteria at the time of application:
- Be an active member of an a cappella church of Christ.
- Be accepted to attend a four-year institution of higher education controlled by the churches of Christ. NOTE: Students accepted to attend Oklahoma Christian University are not eligible for this travel stipend.
- Be a first-time college student (i.e. enrolling full-time for the first time in a four-year, accredited institution of higher education). Preference will be given to those students who are the first ones in their immediate families to have ever attended a Christian institution of higher education.
- Reside in the Pacific Northwest (i.e. Alaska, British Columbia, Idaho, Montana, Northern California, Oregon, or Washington).
Applicants must submit an application package containing the following items:
- A letter of intention that expresses the following in significant detail:
- The college to which the applicant has been accepted
- An explanation of why application for the travel stipend is being made, including a short description of the applicant’s financial need
- A description of the applicant’s church involvement
- A discussion of the applicant’s personal religious faith
- A notation as to whether anyone in the applicant’s family has ever attended a Christian college
- One letter of reference from an Elder or recognized church leader affiliated with the applicant’s home congregation
Only complete application packages will be considered.
Address for Submissions
Application packets should be submitted electronically to NWEF@oc.edu with the phrase “Northwest Endowment Fund - Student Travel Stipends” in the subject line.
Deadlines and Notifications
Applications for the 2014 funding cycle must be submitted by April 18, 2014. Applicants will be notified as to the disposition of their application by May 30th.
The Northwest Endowment Fund (NWEF) is a legacy of Cascade College and Columbia Christian College created by Oklahoma Christian University in 2009. It comprises the former endowed scholarship funds of CC and CCC, now designated to provide scholarships to OC students from the Pacific Northwest. A portion of the funds are reserved for strengthening churches in the NW and providing travel stipends to assist students in attending other church of Christ colleges. A NWEF board consisting of members of the church located primarily in the NW determines the awarding of church enrichment grants and student travel stipends.