OC Academic Highlights - September 18, 2012
Recent Oklahoma Christian University student and faculty academic achievements:
OC is competitive:
Three of OC’s mass communication students, Josh Richardson, Jessica Estrada and Ryan Pendergrass, went to the Oklahoma Speech Theater Communication Association College PR student competition on September 8. Josh’s team won second place and Jessica’s team placed third.
OC is getting the word out:
- Since fall 2011, Dr. Alan Martin, dean of OC’s College of Biblical Studies, has conducted six Marriage and Family Seminars in Oklahoma and Houston, Texas.
- Drs. John Harrison and Jim Dvorak published The New Testament Church: The challenges of developing ecclesiologies, for the McMaster Biblical Studies Series.
- In the past year, our Bible faculty have made at least six presentations at national and international conferences. Additionally, they have published six journal articles and conducted 14 seminars across the country and throughout the world.
OC is global:
- Ben Langford, director of OC’s Center for Global Missions, took a group of 10 students on a mission project to Chimala, Tanzania, for three weeks. They trained and equipped nine students to participate in a 5-7 week internship with mission teams in Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda and Brazil. Click here to read about their service fighting a fire in a local dormitory.
- In July, Kent and Nancy Hartman helped organize the seventh-annual Global Reunion. The camp had 80 participants from 19 countries. It is specifically designed for missionary/military families who have returned to the United States.
- This summer, Dr. Grant Testut designed a YouTube Hebrew alphabet tutorial to aid students in learning the Hebrew language.
- Dr. Dudley Chancey participated in a presentation on Intergenerational Faith in Sophie, Bulgaria. In August, he began the first wave of data collection and interviews of three generations for the Intergenerational Faith Center.
OC is life-changing:
Student Charles (C.J.) Swanson, Jr., attended the Social Innovation Summit at the United Nations & J.P. Morgan this past summer. He was inspired to create the social entrepreneurial project, “Social Bank Co.” Stillwater Bank, Citizens Bank of Edmond and Impact Investment Partners LLP have expressed interest in this project. Check out the website at www.socialbankco.org.