Eagles extend road win streak to 4 games, beat UTPB 4-2

Duc Huynh assisted on the go-ahead goal for OC in a 4-2 win at Texas-Permian Basin.
Duc Huynh assisted on the go-ahead goal for OC in a 4-2 win at Texas-Permian Basin.

ODESSA, Texas (Oct. 4, 2012) – The Oklahoma Christian Eagles have become road warriors.

Behind a one-goal, two-assist performance by Domenico DeGrazia, OC extended its road winning streak to four games on Thursday night, rallying from an early two-goal deficit to beat Heartland Conference foe Texas-Permian Basin 4-2.

It wasn’t immediately known when the last time was that OC (5-4) won four straight road games – or if it has ever accomplished that feat. The Eagles’ last three-game road win streak was in 2007.

The win at UTPB (5-3) came after OC dropped a pair of 3-0 decisions at home last week to Dallas Baptist (Texas) and St. Edward’s (Texas).

“This was a game we really needed after the performances we put in last week at home,” OC coach David Scott said. “We got back to the things that gave us success. Maybe we need to play all our games on the road.”

The Falcons, who outshot OC 21-13, went ahead 1-0 in the 17th minute. Ciarian Connery ‘s corner kick went into the penalty area and Dylan Slaughter scored from a pile in front of the net. In the 28th minute, UTPB went ahead 2-0 when Tyler Gibson’s shot from outside the penalty area deflected off OC goalkeeper Tim Spencer’s hands into the goal. Jose Anchondo was credited with an assist on the play.

OC got one goal back before halftime. DeGrazia passed to Sam Guernsey, who brought the ball down on his chest inside the penalty area and fired past UTPB goalkeeper Chris Benavides in the 43rd minute.

“We got outworked in the first half and made a lot of little mistakes,” Scott said. “We put ourselves in a hole early but credit to the guys for coming together and figuring their way back into the game.”

“They caused us some problems with their setup and style of play but we made a couple of adjustments at halftime to sort a few things out that allowed us to get pressure on them higher up the field and allowed us to settle things down. The game was very open in the first half.”

Ricardo Chinchilla tied the game for the Eagles in the 51st minute, picking up a deflection off his own pass and shooting past Benavides. Less than eight minutes later, Duc Huynh assisted on a goal by DeGrazia that put OC ahead for the first time.

Tommy Guernsey added an insurance goal in the 75th minute, heading in a free kick from DeGrazia from just outside of the penalty area on the right side.

Spencer made seven saves for OC while Benavides was credited with one save for the Falcons.

The Eagles will play three more road games before their next home match. OC will visit McMurry (Texas) on Saturday afternoon before trips to Dallas Baptist on Oct. 11 and St. Edward’s on Oct. 13.

Find OC on: