July 6-11: Course Information
2014 Summer Courses:
Session 1: July 6-11, 2014
Sophomores* (2014-2015) choose two from:
1) Intro to Acting Master Class - Dr. Barrett Huddleston. Students will develop the plenary analytical and performance skills needed to act in myriad roles with competence, confidence and creativity.
2) Introduction to Engineering-Taught by OC's Faculty in ABET-accredited Electrical, Mechanical and Computer Engineering
3) Intro to History of Science - Dr. Len Feuerhelm. Features visit to see Galileo’s book
4) Intro to Bible - Worldview: The Story You Live In - Ben Langford. Helps students understand how they view the world according to the stories they live by everyday and will lead them deeper into God’s narrative for the world.
Juniors* (2014-2015) choose two from:
1) Introduction to Engineering - Taught by OC's Faculty in ABET-accredited Electrical, Mechanical and Computer Engineering
2) History of the Bible - Dr. Richard Wright. Introduction to the fascinating and complex set of processes and technologies that have led to the various modern translations of the Bible; consider (among other things) how the Bible was written and distributed, the decisions that went into determining which books to include in the Bible, and why there are so many translations.
3) Intro to Tolkein: Sub-creation and Creativity - Dr. Cami Agan. Explore J. R. R. Tolkien’s views of creation, drawn from the material collected in The Silmarillion and other works. Discussion is grounded in Tolkien's own term "sub-creation", or human creativity as a worshipful offering to the Creator. Familiarity with Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Hobbit are helpful but not required for this class.
4) Introduction to Cell Biology - Dr. Eric Phelps. Features lab culturing of HeLa Cells
Seniors* (2014-2015) will choose two from:
1) Introduction to Concepts in Mathematics and Computer Science - Don Leftwich, Dr. Lindsay Prugh, Paul Howard. Think about and explore areas of mathematics and technology that they will not likely have encountered before
2) Introduction to Engineering - Taught by OC's Faculty in ABET-accredited Electrical, Mechanical and Computer Engineering
3) Bible - Intro to Luke - Dr. John Harrison. Includes service project to Summer Literacy Program.
4)Intro to Literacy Studies - Dr. Gail Nash. Examine the lives of students coming from environments with low literacy levels and expectations. It explores the impact this background has on students as they enter school and the workplace. Give the educationally well-prepared student a glimpse into the backgrounds of under-prepared students and the challenges they face with strategies used to meet these challenges. Includes service project to Summer Literacy Program.
These for-credit courses are organized with inspiring co-curriculum so that experiential learning links with excellent, Christian faculty to provide an outstanding introduction to undergraduate excellence!