76 hours, Professional Education minor included
An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Science in Education degree in Mathematics will:
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the foundational principles of analysis, algebra and geometry and be able to use standard problem-solving methods in a variety of contexts.
- Exhibit the ability to adapt to new environments and advances in technology, apply research methodologies, and to learn independently.
- Work effectively with others, including the ability to describe mathematical problems, solutions, proofs and logical arguments in a clear, concise manner using both written and oral communication.
- Possess a working knowledge of sound and current pedagogical techniques for the teaching of mathematics at the secondary level.
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the liberal arts, living as a person of integrity with an ability to think, act, and communicate from a Christian worldview in all areas of life.
1. 34 hours required
- MATH-1623 - Introduction to Discrete Mathematics
- MATH-2114 - Calculus I With Analytical Geometry
- MATH-2214 - Calculus II With Analytical Geometry
- MATH-2314 - Calculus III
- MATH-2913 - Statistical Methods
- MATH-3123 - Mathematical Modeling and Strategies for Secondary Teachers
- MATH-3313 - Modern Algebra I
- MATH-3513 - Linear Algebra
- MATH-3813 - Modern Geometry
- MATH-4113 - Probability and Statistics I
- MATH-4811 - Seminar in Mathematics
2. 3 hours chosen from any 3000-4000 level mathematics course
3. 3 hours required
4. 3 hours electives chosen from
5. Licensure: mathematics – grades 6-12
6. Professional education, 25 semester hours
- EDUC-3121 - Orientation to Teacher Education
- EDUC-3122 - The School in American Culture
- EDUC-3213 - Learning, Instruction and Assessment
- EDUC-3422 - Educational Technology
- EDUC-3723 - Education of the Exceptional Child
- EDUC-4013 - Human Relations and Behavior Management
- EDUC-4131 - Applied Instructional and Assessment Strategies
- EDUC-4132 - Critical Issues in Education
- EDUC-4718 - Student Teaching in the Secondary School
7. 5 hours other courses
9. Foreign language competency
High School Foreign Language – 2 years of same language with a grade of “C” or better
University credit – 3 hours foreign language or American Sign Language with a grade of “C” or better.
- Mathematics Teacher
- Software Engineer
- Systems Administrator
- Systems Analyst