B.S. Degree in Theater Performance
43 hours, minor required
An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree in Mass Communication Electronic Media-Broadcast Management will:
- Have been encouraged to sustain or adopt a Christian worldview characterized by participation in a Christian community.
- Have been encouraged to successfully balance career, family, church, and community.
- Be familiar with the appropriate theories of communication.
- Have developed the appropriate writing styles and skills expected by future employers or graduate programs.
- Have an understanding of the fundamentals or research and be able to interpret research findings.
- Understand the ethics of communication.
- Be able successfully to pursue a career as a media salesperson or on-air radio personality possessing the talents to advance beyond an entry-level of employment.
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
1. 10 hours communication core
- COMM-2513 - Communication Theory
- COMM-3123 - Oral Interpretation
- COMM-4631 - Senior Seminar in Communication
- COMM-4733 - Communication Ethics
2. 3 hours experience: you must choose from
- COMM-1311 - Acting Workshop
- COMM-1321 - Technical Theater Workshop
- An internship may be substituted for one of these hours.
3. 21 hours theater performance required
- COMM-1411 - Introduction to Play Production
- COMM-1412 - Stage Movement and Choreography
- COMM-2213 - Voice and Articulation
- COMM-2223 - Stagecraft/Theatre-Tv
- COMM-2313 - Acting I
- COMM-3133 - Costuming & Makeup
- COMM-3203 - Acting Styles
- COMM-3213 - Stage Directing
4. 3 hours history chosen from
5. 3 hours drama chosen from
6. 3 hours chosen from
- COMM-3223 - Theater Design
- COMM-4213 - Performance Conventions: Religious Theater
- COMM-4223 - Performance Conventions: Experimental Theater
Two courses in the same foreign language are recommended.
- Digital Media Professional
- Events Planner
- News Manager
- Public Relations Specialist
- Sound Engineer
- Web Designer
For more information, contact:
Dr. Larry Jurney