B.S. Degree in Public Leadership and Communication
43 hours, minor required
An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree in Public Communication and Leadership will:
- Learn a variety of theories related to communication and leadership and will learn how to apply those theories in praxis.
- Learn a variety of communicative and leadership skills and techniques for the management of interpersonal relations, group leadership and social media.
- Explore ethical approaches to communication leadership and from a Christian faith perspective.
- Learn ethical persuasive techniques, grounded in Christian faith, to help them become skillful advocates for important social issues.
- Learn how to plan, host and conduct public forums for issues of public importance and controversial issues.
- Learn peacemaking and conflict management skills.
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
1. 13 hours communication core courses
- COMM-2513 - Communication Theory
- COMM-3333 - Group Communication
- COMM-4113 - Persuasion
- COMM-4631 - Senior Seminar in Communication
- COMM-4733 - Communication Ethics
2. 21 hours communication leadership
- COMM-2113 - Media Writing
- COMM-3323 - Organizational Communication
- COMM-4633 - Sp Study Interclt Comm I
- COMM-4813 - SS: Spec Studies Communicatio
3. 6 hours chosen from
4. 3 hours chosen from
- State Government
- Local Government
- Public Administration
- Public Organizations
- Nonprofit Organizations
For more information, contact:
Dr. Larry Jurney