This major consists of four years of study in biology, biochemistry, chemistry, and physics that is designed to prepare students for future professional and graduate level programs. This major would be appropriate for students interested in a pre-med course of study.
An OC Graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree and in Biology will:
1. Be prepared for graduate level studies or entry-level positions in fields of scientific investigation.
2. Have acquired a fundamental body of knowledge in the biological and physical sciences.
3. Be able to think critically and have conducted research in both experimental and theoretical forms.
4. Be able to communicate effectively the results of scientific research and study.
5. Have developed mature Christian attitudes towards scholarship, intellectual honesty and ethical conduct that promote a life-long appreciation for learning.
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
14 HOURS OF BIOLOGY FOUNDATION
- BIOL-1115 - General Biology: I Cellular and Molecular Systems
- BIOL-1215 - General Biology II: Comparative Physiology and Ecology
- BIOL-2314 - Genetics
14 HOURS OF UPPER DIVISION BIOLOGY
- BIOL-4014 - Biochemistry I with Lab
- BIOL-4123 - Biochemistry II
- BIOL-4223 - Molecular Biology
- BIOL-4301 - Molecular Biology Lab
- BIOL-4323 - Advanced Cellular Biology
12 HOURS ELECTIVE UPPER DIVISION BIOLOGY
Maximum 4 hours of Undergraduate Research or Field Medicine Practicum
19 HOURS CHEMISTRY
- CHEM-1115 - General Chemistry I
- CHEM-1215 - General Chemistry II
- CHEM-3115 - Organic Chemistry I
- CHEM-3124 - Organic Chemistry II
8 HOURS PHYSICS WITH LABORATORY
3-4 HOURS MATHEMATICS
3 HOURS STATISTICS
- BIOL-2913 Biostatistics
5 HOURS SCIENCE SEMINAR
- GNSC-1711 - Freshman Science Seminar
- GNSC-2711 - Sophomore Science Seminar
- GNSC-3711 - Junior Science Seminar
- GNSC-4712 - Senior Science Seminar
Note: Transfer students must complete at least 30 hours (two semesters) at OC
to be eligible to enroll in the clinical training courses.
Note: Program Requirements:
Before taking any 3000/4000 level biology classes, you must:
- Complete 14 hours of biology foundation
- Maintain a major GPA of 2.5
- Complete all prerequisite courses with a grade of “C” or better.
- Complete GNSC-1711 and GNSC-2711; while enrolled, students must seek approval to add upper division biology courses.
- Complete ENGL-1213 with a grade of “C” or better.
- Obtain departmental approval.