This major consists of four years of study in biology, biochemistry, chemistry, and physics that is designed to prepare students for future professional and graduate level programs. This major would be appropriate for students interested in a pre-med course of study.
An OC Graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree and in Biology will:
1. Be prepared for graduate level studies or entry-level positions in fields of scientific investigation.
2. Have acquired a fundamental body of knowledge in the biological and physical sciences.
3. Be able to think critically and have conducted research in both experimental and theoretical forms.
4. Be able to communicate effectively the results of scientific research and study.
5. Have developed mature Christian attitudes towards scholarship, intellectual honesty and ethical conduct that promote a life-long appreciation for learning.
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
1. 14 hours biology core
- BIOL-1115 General Biology I: Cellular and Molecular Systems
- BIOL-1215 General Biology II: Diversity, Physiology and Ecology
- BIOL-2314 Genetics
2. 14 hours required upper division biology
- BIOL-4014 Biochemistry I
- BIOL-4123 Biochemistry II
- BIOL-4223 Molecular Biology
- BIOL-4301 Molecular Biology Lab
- BIOL-4323 Advanced Cellular Biology
3. 12 HOURS ELECTIVE UPPER DIVSION BIOLOGY
maximum 4 hours of Undergraduate Research or Field Medicine Practicum
4. 19 HOURS CHEMISTRY
- CHEM-1115 General Chemistry I
- CHEM-1215 General Chemistry II
- CHEM-3115 Organic Chemistry I
- CHEM-3124 Organic Chemistry II
5. 8 HOURS PHYSICS WITH LABORATORY
- PHYS-1114 College Physics I
- PHYS-2514 Physics I
- PHYS-1214 College Physics II
- PHYS 2614 Physics II
6. 3-4 HOURS MATHEMATICS
- MATH-1213 College Algebra
- MATH-2114 Calculus I with Analytical Geometry
7. 3 HOURS STATISTICS
- MATH-2913 Statistical Methods
8. 5 HOURS SCIENCE SEMINAR
- GNSC-1711 Freshman Science Seminar
- GNSC-2711 Sophomore Science Seminar
- GNSC-3711 Junior Science Seminar
- GNSC-4712 Senior Science Seminar
Note: Transfer students must complete at least 30 hours (two semesters) at OC
to be eligible to enroll in the clinical training courses.
During your participation in the clinical year of the medical technology program,
your scholarships will be replaced by a med tech scholarship equal to the cost of
full-time OC tuition, minus the cost of the medical technology program fee.