This major consists of four years of study in biology, biochemistry, chemistry, and physics that is designed to prepare students for future professional and graduate level programs. This major would be appropriate for students interested in a pre-med course of study.
An OC Graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree and in Biology will:
1. Be prepared for graduate level studies or entry-level positions in fields of scientific investigation.
2. Have acquired a fundamental body of knowledge in the biological and physical sciences.
3. Be able to think critically and have conducted research in both experimental and theoretical forms.
4. Be able to communicate effectively the results of scientific research and study.
5. Have developed mature Christian attitudes towards scholarship, intellectual honesty and ethical conduct that promote a life-long appreciation for learning.
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
1. 14 hours biology core
- BIOL-1115 - General Biology: I Cellular and Molecular Systems
- BIOL-1215 - General Biology II: Comparative Physiology and Ecology
- BIOL-2314 - Genetics
2. 14 hours required upper division biology
- BIOL-4014 - Biochemistry I with Lab
- BIOL-4123 - Biochemistry II
- BIOL-4223 - Molecular Biology
- BIOL-4301 - Molecular Biology Lab
- BIOL-4323 - Advanced Cellular Biology
3. 12 HOURS ELECTIVE UPPER DIVSION BIOLOGY
maximum 4 hours of Undergraduate Research or Field Medicine Practicum
4. 19 HOURS CHEMISTRY
- CHEM-1115 - General Chemistry I
- CHEM-1215 - General Chemistry II
- CHEM-3115 - Organic Chemistry I
- CHEM-3124 - Organic Chemistry II
5. 8 HOURS PHYSICS WITH LABORATORY
6. 3-4 HOURS MATHEMATICS
7. 3 HOURS STATISTICS
- BIOL-2913 Biostatistics
8. 5 HOURS SCIENCE SEMINAR
- GNSC-1711 - Freshman Science Seminar
- GNSC-2711 - Sophomore Science Seminar
- GNSC-3711 - Junior Science Seminar
- GNSC-4712 - Senior Science Seminar
Note: Transfer students must complete at least 30 hours (two semesters) at OC
to be eligible to enroll in the clinical training courses.
During your participation in the clinical year of the medical technology program,
your scholarships will be replaced by a med tech scholarship equal to the cost of
full-time OC tuition, minus the cost of the medical technology program fee.