B.M.E. Degree in Music/Instrumental Emphasis
76 hours, plus 6 hours counted in the core, professional education minor included
The B.M.E. Degree is for students pursuing a teaching career in music. The degree provides the student with the necessary coursework required for the standard teaching certificate as outlined by the Oklahoma State Department of Education.
An OC graduate with a BME with instrumental emphasis will demonstrate
- Ability to hear and analyze rhythm, melody, harmony, and form.
- Ability to sight-read music and perform with other musicians.
- Understanding of compositional and aesthetic properties of style, and how the art of music is shaped by cultural forces.
- Acquaintance with a wide selection of music literature beyond the student’s specialization through lectures, assignments, and concert attendance.
- Ability to perform a cross-section of that repertory according to the student’s interest and departmental standards.
- Ability to communicate clearly, critically, and creatively about music.
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
1. 11 hours basic theory
- MUSC-1112 - Mus Theory I
- MUSC-1211 - Ear Training II
- MUSC-1212 - Music Theory II
- MUSC-2111 - Ear Training III
- MUSC-2112 - Music Theory III
- MUSC-2211 - Ear Training IV
- MUSC-2212 - Music Theory IV
2. 4 hours class piano
- MUSC-1581 - Class Piano I
- MUSC-1681 - Class Piano II
- MUSC-2581 - Class Piano III
- MUSC-2681 - Class Piano 4
3. 9 hours music history, 3 hours counted in core
- MUSC-3323 - Music History I: Ancient Music Through Through Renaissance
- MUSC-3333 - Music History Ii: Baroque and Classical
- MUSC-3343 - Music History III: Romantic and Contemporary
4. 5 hours advanced theory and technology
5. 4 hours class instruments
- MUSC-3121 - Class Woodwinds
- MUSC-3131 - Class Brass
- MUSC-3141 - Class Percussion
- MUSC-3151 - Class Strings
6. 4 hours conducting
7. 8 hours major performance instrument
8. 1 hour secondary instrument
9. 1 hour voice
10. 4 hours music ensemble
1300-1400 level courses
11. 1 hour capstone project or recital
12. 23 hours professional education
- EDUC-3121 - Orientation to Teacher Education
- EDUC-3122 - The School in American Culture
- EDUC-3213 - Learning, Instruction, & Assessment
- EDUC-3723 - Educ of the Exceptional Child Education of the Exceptional Child
- EDUC-4013 - Human Rel and Behav Management Human Relations and Behavior Management
- EDUC-4131 - Applied Instructional and Assessment Strategies
- EDUC-4132 - Critical Issues in Education
- EDUC-4818 - Student Tch Elem and Sec Sch Student Tch in the Elem and Sec Schools
13. 3 hours psychology, counted in the core
14. 4 hours music methods
15. Foreign language competency
High School Foreign Language – 2 years of same language with a grade of “C” or better
University credit – 3 hours foreign language or American Sign Language with a grade of “C” or better.
- Music Therapist
- Private Instructor
- Symphony or Opera Company Performer
- Teacher/University Professor
- Worship/Youth Minister
For more information, contact: