71 hours, plus 6 additional hours in biblical languages
The major in youth ministry offers students an opportunity to make special preparation to serve as youth ministers while laying a strong foundation in a study of the Bible and Bible-related subjects. The purpose of the youth ministry major at OC is to equip students to minister with adolescents and their families.
An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Youth Ministry will be able to:
- "Know thyself."
- Plan and lay out a yearly program of activities that reinforce the core values of the Christian faith, the local church, and the youth group.
- Involve the parents of adolescents and other volunteers in the youth and family program, utilizing their gifts.
- Refer to parents, authorities, and/or counselors when adolescents are at risk.
- Share the Gospel specifically using methods to reach adolescents.
- Disciple and assist adolescents in their spiritual formation.
- Use and teach scripture effectively.
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
1. 17 hours required core major courses
- BIBL-2713 - Introduction to Ministry
- BIBL-3013 - Hermeneutics
- BIBL-3203 - Biblical Exegesis
- BIBL-3823 - Counseling for Ministers
- BIBL-4753 - Seminar in Christian Ministry
- BIBL-2512 - Personal Evangelism
2. 3 hours chosen from
3. 6 hours required
4. 9 hours chosen from
- YTMN-2123 - Counseling Adolescents
- YTMN-2213 - Introduction to Youth and Family Ministry As A Profession
- YTMN-2233 - Experiential Teaching Methods in the Outdoors
- YTMN-3113 - Evangelism, Discipleship, and Spiritual Formation With Adolescents
- YTMN-3213 - Models & Programming in Youth Ministry
- YTMN-4113 - Media Culture and Adolescence
- YTMN-4313 - Volunteers, Parents, and Staff in Youth and Family Ministry
5. 3 hours practicum required
6. 3 hours required
7. 3 hours chosen from
8. 6 hours psychology courses
9. 6 hours Old Testament textual courses
10. 9 hours New Testament textual courses
11. 6 hours elective textual courses
12. 6 hours, biblical languages
A student must take 6 hours of Greek or 6 hours of Hebrew in addition to the above requirements for the B.A. in Religious Education.
- Children's Minister
- Youth Minister
- University Professor