B.A. Degree in Music with emphasis in voice, piano, and other instruments
51 hours, minor required plus 6 hours of same foreign language
The B.A. Degree is for students pursuing a teaching career in music. The degree provides the student with the necessary coursework required for the standard teaching certificate as outlined by the Oklahoma State Department of Education.
An OC graduate with a BME with instrumental emphasis will demonstrate
- Ability to hear and analyze rhythm, melody, harmony, and form.
- Ability to sight-read music and perform with other musicians.
- Understanding of compositional and aesthetic properties of style, and how the art of music is shaped by cultural forces.
- Acquaintance with a wide selection of music literature beyond the student’s specialization through lectures, assignments, and concert attendance.
- Ability to perform a cross-section of that repertory according to the student’s interest and departmental standards.
- Ability to communicate clearly, critically, and creatively about music.
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
1. 11 hours basic theory
- MUSC-1112 - Mus Theory I
- MUSC-1211 - Ear Training II
- MUSC-1212 - Music Theory II
- MUSC-2111 - Ear Training III
- MUSC-2112 - Music Theory III
- MUSC-2211 - Ear Training IV
- MUSC-2212 - Music Theory IV
2. 4 hours class piano
- MUSC-1581 - Class Piano I
- MUSC-1681 - Class Piano II
- MUSC-2581 - Class Piano III
- MUSC-2681 - Class Piano 4
3. 9 hours music history
- MUSC-3323 - Music History I: Ancient Music Through˝Through Renaissance
- MUSC-3333 - Music History Ii: Baroque and Classical
- MUSC-3343 - Music History III: Romantic and˝Contemporary
4. 2 hours advanced theory and technique
5. 2 hours conducting chosen from
6. 3 hours music technology
7. 10 hours applied music selected from vocal and instrumental study with consent of advisor
8. 5 hours music electives other than ensembles
9. 4 hours music ensemble (1300 or 1400 level courses)
10. 1 hour capstone project or recital
11. 6 hours same foreign language
- Music Therapist
- Private Instructor
- Symphony or Opera Company Performer
- Teacher/University Professor
- Worship/Youth Minister
For more information, contact: