This major is for the person wanting a general background in art or a vocation in the field of art and its related industries.
An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Art will:
1. Demonstrate effective problem solving skills as applied to visual communications, artistic expression, and graphic design.
2. Demonstrate a working understanding of art history: genres, artists, movements, and practitioner
3. Articulate an understanding of one’s integration of faith and design/artistic expression.
4. Demonstrate the ability to communicate clearly and think independently.
5. Demonstrate a commitment to scholarship and creative expression.
6. Demonstrate an ability to reproduce a visual impression/representation of form, substance, light, and shadow though figure and perspective drawing.
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
Degree Requirements: 75 hours
36 hours core
- ARTS-1103 Technology for Graphics
- ARTS-1113 Fundamentals of Drawing
- ARTS-1213 Figure Drawing
- ARTS-1413 Elements of Visual Thinking
- ARTS-2323 Digital Design for Print
- ARTS-2403 Digital Photography
- ARTS-2423 History of Photography + Motion Pictures
- ARTS-2523 Form and Communication
- ARTS-3333 History of Design
- ARTS-3343 Ancient to Modern Art History
- ARTS-3353 Contemporary Art
- ARTS-3773 The Business of Branding Yourself
6 hours printmaking
9 hours painting
6 hours illustration
6 hours professional design
- ARTS-2223 Introduction to Communication Design
- ARTS-2233 Type as Visual Language
12 hours art and design electives
- 12 hours from Art Department. Senior Exhibit allowed with advisor approval.