Experience OC: One of Oklahoma City's (OKC) Best Colleges
When it comes to universities and colleges in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Christian University offers the combination of a unique, small-town feel with the cultural richness associated with a big city. Oklahoma Christian is one of the few universities in Oklahoma City located within minutes of bustling downtown Oklahoma City and the friendly Edmond area, as well as the Bricktown entertainment district, shopping centers, cultural venues, and more. We believe our location, among other Oklahoma City colleges and universities, is uniquely suited to a fun, safe and productive college experience.
For sports fans, there's the top-10 ranked NBA Chesapeake Energy Arena downtown, home of the Oklahoma City Thunder. The nearby Bricktown entertainment district is chock-full of restaurants and entertainment venues. A few blocks from there, you'll find the Myriad Botanical Gardens, featuring 17 acres of gardens surrounding the Crystal Bridge Tropical Conservatory. The nearby Oklahoma River houses the Boathouse District, home to Oklahoma City Riversport and an official U.S. Olympic/Paralympic training site for athletes in rowing and canoe/kayak.
Shopping venues include the Outlet Shoppes at Oklahoma City, a 350,000-square-foot shopping center and the only outlet center in the state, as well as Quail Springs Mall (just six miles away from the university campus) and Penn Square Mall (just 12 miles from campus). A multitude of local retailers and alternative shopping districts are also available, such as Western Avenue and Classen Curve.
Cultural venues include the Oklahoma City Museum of Art, the Oklahoma History Center, the Oklahoma City Zoo, the Science Museum of Oklahoma , the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum , the Red Earth Museum, and smaller, independent arts districts like the Paseo Arts District and the lively Plaza District. Annual events and festivals in Oklahoma City are abundant, such as the OKC Arts Festival, the Oklahoma State Fair, Downtown in December, Opening Night, deadCENTER Film Festival, and many more.
The area surrounding Oklahoma Christian University boasts a low crime rate coupled with ties to Oklahoma businesses in one of the fastest growing economies in the nation. With one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country and a flourishing cultural and social scene, it's easy to see why Oklahoma Christian University is drawing students from across America and internationally while becoming an increasingly popular choice for students wanting to study at an OKC university.
- Oklahoma City has been ranked well by Newsweek's The Daily Beast as a great city for recent college graduates, as well as a top place to live while going to college (American Institute for Economic Research). Portfolio.com has also ranked Oklahoma City as one of the "Best Places for Young Adults."
- Forbes has recently ranked Oklahoma City well for job growth and a healthy job market. The Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce also notes the rapid growth of several industries, including aerospace, bioscience, technology, energy, and logistics.
- Oklahoma City has been recognized by U.S. News & World Report as a great city to find a job. CBSNews.com has also ranked Oklahoma City well with a focus on characteristics like economic growth potential, quality of jobs available, and low unemployment.
- According to the U.S. Census Bureau American Community Survey, Oklahoma City ranks as one of the top three cities for commute time, boasting an average commute of about 20 minutes.
- Oklahoma City has ranked consistently by Forbes as being below the national average for cost of living, including housing, transportation, utilities, and groceries.
- Oklahoma City has ranked consistently well by both Business Insider and The Business Journals for its real estate, both with regard to real estate market values and the expectation to continue thriving.