The OC Graduate
Since its founding in 1950, Oklahoma Christian University has sought to fulfill its mission to “transform lives for Christian faith, scholarship, and service.” Educating and nurturing the heart, mind, and soul, OC encourages its graduates to be like Jesus Christ, who “increased in wisdom and stature and in favor with God and man” (Luke 2:52). Christian faith and scholarship, exhibited through academic and spiritual excellence, is the heart of the University’s mission. While students will pursue and attain this excellence to varying degrees, we identify here the qualities desired for all OC graduates.
The OC Graduate Knows...
- The liberal arts, which enrich life and prepare for the inevitable challenges, opportunities, and changes of life.
- The specialized knowledge, research methodologies, problem-solving strategies, and practical skills that enable competent living in modern society and successful competition in the global marketplace.
- How to communicate clearly and think independently, critically, and creatively.
- How to live and work harmoniously with people of diverse backgrounds and beliefs without compromising truth.
- The great themes and doctrines of the Bible, including the message of grace, the Lordship of Christ, and the role of the church. Graduates will understand the comparative tenets of major worldviews and will be provided the tools and skills for thinking critically about and applying scripture to the issues of today
- The history and identity of a cappella Churches of Christ and their restoration heritage.
The OC Graduate Is...
- Committed to intellectual and spiritual inquiry, nurturing the mind and spirit throughout life.
- Devoted to Christ, seeking to emulate Him and embody the fruit of the Spirit (Gal. 5:22).
- Dedicated to truth, righteousness, and excellence in every facet of life.
- A faithful steward of the blessings, resources, and talents received from God.
The OC Graduate Believes...
- The Bible is the revelation of the nature and will of God, the incarnation of the Son, and the work of the Holy Spirit, and is the authority for Christian faith and practice.
- Life has meaning only through a relationship with God, recognizing that the pursuit of knowledge in any field is ultimately a quest for understanding of God and His creation.
- Faith and learning are integral and cannot be separated with impunity.
The OC Graduate Lives...
- As a servant-leader in family, church, profession, and community, making a difference for good in the world, both locally and globally.
- With integrity, by acting consistently with beliefs and in covenant relationship with God.
- In humble submission to God’s will, diligently serving him and all humanity by following the two greatest commandments: to “Love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind,” and to “Love your neighbor as yourself” (Matt. 22:37 & 39)